Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clutch adjustment cover screws ? 26 Jun 2006 17:37 #57350

• AzKZ650
  • AzKZ650's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Guys, Anyone got a trick for removing the 2 screws on the clutch adjustment cover, once they start stripping? Mine aren't completely gone yet, so I figured I'd seek guidance before I totally destroy them.
I've tried PB blaster and a few different screw-drivers but nothings working, just screwing up the screws :S .

Thanks-Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clutch adjustment cover screws ? 26 Jun 2006 17:53 #57352

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
You can use an impact driver, the type you use a hammer with or you can do it the "old school" way with a hammer and flat chisel. The old school method will ruin the screws. Good luck

Clutch adjustment cover screws ? 26 Jun 2006 17:55 #57353

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Sometimes tapping on the end of the screw driver whilst applying turn pressure will do it.

You probably need a "hand impact driver" like I do too.
I have an "impact driver but its way too stout to be pounding on motorcycle screws in Aluminum!

Someone here can enlighten us as to the wonders of this fine implement of non-destruction I hope.

Light (and I mean light in this case) heating can sometimes do the trick too ala butane torch.

Good luck.

Stop by for a visit if you pick up a hand impact driver...I needed one the other day. :P

Clutch adjustment cover screws ? 26 Jun 2006 19:13 #57383

• ejshotgun
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
baldy110 wrote:

You can use an impact driver, the type you use a hammer with or you can do it the "old school" way with a hammer and flat chisel. The old school method will ruin the screws. Good luck

Yep, that was one of the first tools I picked up when I got back into Riding/Wrenching!

Clutch adjustment cover screws ? 26 Jun 2006 20:05 #57409

• wireman
  • Visitor
if they get too bad try drilling just the heads off of screws then once you pry the cover off you can get the rest of screws out with vise grips.run a tap through the threads after you get the bolts out the rest of the way and put some anti-seize on the new screws;)

Clutch adjustment cover screws ? 27 Jun 2006 00:46 #57433

• AzKZ650
  • User
Thanks for the tips guys, it's always appreciated!!! I'll try the impact driver first.

Clutch adjustment cover screws ? 27 Jun 2006 01:51 #57435

• grace1
  • User
hi akz650
hope this helps too ,consider a allen key bolt x2 when you replace them then you,ll have no problems ever again ,just remember to pack a allen key in your tool kit just in case
cheers graeme:silly: :silly:
bendigo australia, gold mine country
MY COLLECTION 1978 B3 KZ750 AND 1980 GS1000G

Clutch adjustment cover screws ? 27 Jun 2006 05:18 #57446

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
shock will free up most stubborn bolts. hammer and a center punch. the hammer style impact driver is a must. next keep a set of left hand drill bits to relieve the worst stuck bolts oh yeah a set of vice grips work in some situations.

Clutch adjustment cover screws ? 27 Jun 2006 08:34 #57487

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
First you need the correct size driver. it's a #2 OR #3, I don't recall which. It should be a good quality driver with a hardened machined tip and a 2 or 3 lb brass hammer.

Next you need to point the bike true North. Note: this is rarely the same as compass North.

Get your cooler, some ice, some beer, your grill, a couple of big all beef hotdogs, buns, condiments, charcoal, and a lounge chair. Find some shade nearby.

Fire up the grill.

While the charcoal is coming up to speed, nice even gray ash all over, have a couple of beers and peruse the latest playboy.

Put on your dogs and when done put them on a plate. Take some of the fat and rub it thouroughly around the screws. Prepare and consume your dogs with another beer or two.

Take you hammer and driver over to the bike. Square the driver in the screw head. Give it a sharp rap with the hammer. Repeat for the remaining screw. They should turn out easily now.

Back to the lounge chair for another beer and a nap. You can tackle adjusting the clutch when you wake up.

-Duck

Clutch adjustment cover screws ? 27 Jun 2006 10:27 #57510

• wireman
  • Visitor
Duck wrote:

First you need the correct size driver. it's a #2 OR #3, I don't recall which. It should be a good quality driver with a hardened machined tip and a 2 or 3 lb brass hammer.

Next you need to point the bike true North. Note: this is rarely the same as compass North.

Get your cooler, some ice, some beer, your grill, a couple of big all beef hotdogs, buns, condiments, charcoal, and a lounge chair. Find some shade nearby.

Fire up the grill.

While the charcoal is coming up to speed, nice even gray ash all over, have a couple of beers and peruse the latest playboy.

Put on your dogs and when done put them on a plate. Take some of the fat and rub it thouroughly around the screws. Prepare and consume your dogs with another beer or two.

Take you hammer and driver over to the bike. Square the driver in the screw head. Give it a sharp rap with the hammer. Repeat for the remaining screw. They should turn out easily now.

Back to the lounge chair for another beer and a nap. You can tackle adjusting the clutch when you wake up.

-Duck

;) :P

Clutch adjustment cover screws ? 28 Jun 2006 07:20 #57711

• AzKZ650
  • User
I picked-up a impact driver last night after work, and ran out to the garage just a few minutes ago...it worked Great! Thanks Again Everyone :) . Now I just have to run and get some new bolts. Next time I'm going to wait until the weekend and try Duck's method!!!

• Page: