Kz650 valve stem seal replacement

More
11 Feb 2013 14:30 #571948 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Kz650 valve stem seal replacement

I would say that "common" problem on re-built engines were "re-built" by someone who has questionable abilites at re-building engines.

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2013 02:59 #572039 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Kz650 valve stem seal replacement

baldy110 wrote:

I would say that "common" problem on re-built engines were "re-built" by someone who has questionable abilites at re-building engines.

Exactly

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
12 Feb 2013 03:03 #572042 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Kz650 valve stem seal replacement
I would start by taking the exhaust off and looking at the valves first. the intake is harder to see. I thought I had a problem so I sprayed carb cleaner in the exhaust valves but it didn't leak into the cylinders as much as I thought.

More
12 Feb 2013 08:41 #572057 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Kz650 valve stem seal replacement
IMO 10,000 miles shouldn't warrant new guides. The OEM cast iron guides are much better than the old bronze guides used in the KZ900 engines.

Seals are just plain shot from age / deterioration.

Larry C.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
12 Feb 2013 10:43 #572064 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Kz650 valve stem seal replacement

APE Jay wrote: It never ceases to amaze me what people call a rebuilt motor.Or "gone through" A rebuilt motor should have a completely rebuild cylinder head including guides if needed.

The motor has not been "gone through" if the head has just been washed up and valves lapped.

I have seen it done.
Another thing is the break in period of 1/3 throttle for the first 500 miles after a rebuild, who knows if that was done properly. If Kawasaki would pay me I would break in all the new bikes.

More
12 Feb 2013 19:30 - 12 Feb 2013 19:35 #572138 by LarryC

wireman wrote: Yeah if they will be able to actually replace all the seals in 2 hrs from start/finish Id pay to buy a ticket and watch these guys work.

Actually, that's doable in 2 hours if you hustle and know what you're doing. It's foolish to not take things apart, clean and properly address the situation correctly. But if it was approached from the perspective of just replacing seals and not cleaning the valves or decarbon the head, it could be done in about 2 hours start to finish...

Pull tank & coils 5 min
Exhaust system off 5 min
Carbs off 5 min
Head and tensioner off 15 min
Swap seals 30 min
Leaves an hour to clean gaskets and haul ass getting it back together

Flat Rate is a tough game but it's done everyday in auto and bike shops all over.

Back in the 80's when I was in the groove doing J cranks, I pulled a CSR 1000 on the lift and had the new crank in the cases in 1.5 hours. Finished up the top end the next morning and it went out the door by noon. Mind you, I had done a bunch of them and knew exactly what tools I needed... I just wanted to see how fast I could do one :) It's NOT the way to make a living :woohoo:

Larry C.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2013 19:35 by LarryC.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
12 Feb 2013 21:03 - 12 Feb 2013 21:07 #572143 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Kz650 valve stem seal replacement

LarryC wrote:

wireman wrote: Yeah if they will be able to actually replace all the seals in 2 hrs from start/finish Id pay to buy a ticket and watch these guys work.

Actually, that's doable in 2 hours if you hustle and know what you're doing. It's foolish to not take things apart, clean and properly address the situation correctly. But if it was approached from the perspective of just replacing seals and not cleaning the valves or decarbon the head, it could be done in about 2 hours start to finish...

Pull tank & coils 5 min
Exhaust system off 5 min
Carbs off 5 min
Head and tensioner off 15 min
Swap seals 30 min
Leaves an hour to clean gaskets and haul ass getting it back together

Flat Rate is a tough game but it's done everyday in auto and bike shops all over.

Back in the 80's when I was in the groove doing J cranks, I pulled a CSR 1000 on the lift and had the new crank in the cases in 1.5 hours. Finished up the top end the next morning and it went out the door by noon. Mind you, I had done a bunch of them and knew exactly what tools I needed... I just wanted to see how fast I could do one :) It's NOT the way to make a living :woohoo:

Youre way too ambitious,Ill just buy a ticket and sit back and watch the show! :woohoo:
20 years ago me and my buddy Rick could tear out a non running ac condenser and have the new unit finished and running and be picking up the trash within 45 minutes,but Im not interested in working that hard anymore! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2013 21:07 by wireman.

More
12 Feb 2013 21:08 #572146 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Kz650 valve stem seal replacement

LarryC wrote:

Actually, that's doable in 2 hours if you hustle and know what you're doing........
Carbs off 5 min......

Now you see, there's the difference (well, one difference) between a pro like Larry and a backyard type like me. It would take me longer than 5 minutes to convince my wife to bring me another beer before I even started removing the carbs. :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
13 Feb 2013 09:56 #572223 by LarryC
Ed,

These days it takes me 2 hours to have coffee in the morning :lol:

Larry C.