Kz750e to 810 build questions

More
02 Feb 2013 03:01 #570340 by Gd750
Kz750e to 810 build questions was created by Gd750
Hey. So i frequent this forum for info and have found a great deal of good ideas and opinions so now ive decided to reach out for some help. I have an 81 kz750e with a stock motor. I have been thinking about putting an 810 kit in it. Before i bite the bullet and buy the pistons i was wondering if anyone who has done this modification could tell me: will i have a significant overheating issue (one that adding a gpz750 oil cooler to the equation will not resolve).. Will i require hotter cams immediately or would i be able to run sock cams temporarily with this setup.. With stock cams, will my stock valve springs/ guides hold up? I will be running RS34's If this sways any of your opinions. Would this setup have any more/less inherent problems than if i did a similar mod to a stock 900 or 1000 motor? Any and all advice is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
02 Feb 2013 04:34 #570348 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Kz750e to 810 build questions
What area are you located in,do you have overheating problems now? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
02 Feb 2013 13:49 #570395 by Gd750
Replied by Gd750 on topic Kz750e to 810 build questions
i live in ohio. the only overheating issues ive ever had were from a lean condition on the carburetors. it gets hot here in the summer but its usually not an issue with the motor stock.

• wireman
  • User
More
02 Feb 2013 14:15 #570399 by wireman
Im guessing youre not getting any worse weather than nebraska then,Id give it a try.
An oil cooler and synthetic oil should keep it running cool B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gd750

More
02 Feb 2013 14:26 #570400 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Kz750e to 810 build questions
With the stock cams you will have higher cylinder pressure than with a performance cam. Over the yraes we have done a lot of these 810s with no over heating complaints.

More
02 Feb 2013 16:53 #570418 by Gd750
would detonation be an issue if the cylinder pressure is too high from the cams not being able to allow the motor to breathe?

More
02 Feb 2013 16:53 - 02 Feb 2013 16:54 #570419 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic Kz750e to 810 build questions

wireman wrote: Im guessing youre not getting any worse weather than nebraska then,Id give it a try.

You won't have any overheating problems, these 810s are tried and tested but I'd disagree with WM about the oil. My preference is for regular mineral oil. That's what Kawasaki recommend, and a number of owners have reported that synthetic causes oil leaks and hardening/embrittlement of the internal plastics (cam chain guides and clutch basket dampers).

My own 810cc bike runs mineral oil and no oil cooler with no problems.

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com
Last edit: 02 Feb 2013 16:54 by Lorcan.

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
02 Feb 2013 16:58 #570421 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic Kz750e to 810 build questions
I run Shell Rotella 15W40 in all my machinery, except for the Civic, which calls for 5W20.

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gd750

• wireman
  • User
More
02 Feb 2013 17:08 #570422 by wireman
Ive never had mechanical issues caused by the synthetic,but I definately agree good gaskets area must! :laugh:
If youve got a pin hole anyplace in a gasket the synthetic oil will find it.
Depending on how hot it gets where youre at you will drop oil temps,I made a believer out of omr about the temp differance living there in pheonix he noticed a significant drop between the synthetic oil and adding oil cooler. :)

More
02 Feb 2013 17:16 #570423 by Gd750

Lorcan wrote:

wireman wrote: Im guessing youre not getting any worse weather than nebraska then,Id give it a try.

You won't have any overheating problems, these 810s are tried and tested but I'd disagree with WM about the oil. My preference is for regular mineral oil. That's what Kawasaki recommend, and a number of owners have reported that synthetic causes oil leaks and hardening/embrittlement of the internal plastics (cam chain guides and clutch basket dampers).

My own 810cc bike runs mineral oil and no oil cooler with no problems.

oh you dont run an oil cooler at all? what about an air scoop/under cowl? what motor did you put the 810 into? a 750E or 750R1 or other? do you use this bike on the track or street? thanks

More
02 Feb 2013 17:18 #570424 by Gd750

wireman wrote: Ive never had mechanical issues caused by the synthetic,but I definately agree good gaskets area must! :laugh:
If youve got a pin hole anyplace in a gasket the synthetic oil will find it.
Depending on how hot it gets where youre at you will drop oil temps,I made a believer out of omr about the temp differance living there in pheonix he noticed a significant drop between the synthetic oil and adding oil cooler. :)

wow it was that significant? what kind of synthetic are you referring to? would this have any affect on the behavior of my clutch? <-- something i was told once...

More
02 Feb 2013 18:30 #570430 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic Kz750e to 810 build questions

wireman wrote: If youve got a pin hole anyplace in a gasket the synthetic oil will find it.

Of course, if I lived in the desert I'd reconsider ;)

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com