Rate My Plugs

More
31 Jan 2013 22:22 #570164 by Duckhole
Rate My Plugs was created by Duckhole
Hi I was curious if you guys can enlighten me on the condition of my plugs. Just wondering if im rich or lean. Sorry for a dumb question but im pretty new to this DIY stuff.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2013 23:00 #570171 by chonus
Replied by chonus on topic Rate My Plugs
a bit lean I'd say. but they look good to me

-Dave

'82 kz305 lil bob
'82 kz1000 streetfighter project
'80 kz750/4 LTD
'02 kx125
The following user(s) said Thank You: Duckhole

More
31 Jan 2013 23:38 #570175 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Rate My Plugs
A bit lean
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
01 Feb 2013 00:54 #570187 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Rate My Plugs
There's only three, and maybe a touch lean, but probly just a slight tweak on idle air screw (out) to fix it. Wouldn't mess with it myself.

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
01 Feb 2013 01:04 #570189 by Duckhole
Replied by Duckhole on topic Rate My Plugs
Thanks everyone maybe I'll go an eighth out and see if they darken up a bit.

More
01 Feb 2013 02:31 #570203 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Rate My Plugs
They look carboned big time, like rich rich. Are you burning oil?

Some or all of the black may be oil. If they were lean the whole insulator

would be white all the way down inside the plug.

Yu guys going blind or what. :dry:

WELL LEAST YOUR NOT DEAF :P

More
01 Feb 2013 07:37 - 01 Feb 2013 07:40 #570220 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Rate My Plugs
I'm with nads, a tadd too rich....

The strap heat range seems about right @ 50/50.
Definitely rich on the base ring.

Coil voltage @ idle ~ 13Vdc....?

Hard to say on the porcelain but are these rather new plugs (low miles)...?
Might explain why the white color.

Maybe this will help.... Follow the link on a good write up on the subject matter... ;)

How to read spark plugs...

Attachment SparkPlugBase.JPG not found

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Feb 2013 07:40 by Old Man Rock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58, turboking, bluezbike, Duckhole

More
01 Feb 2013 10:46 #570226 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Rate My Plugs
Well there you have it. The plugs show you are running a little lean, a little rich, or very rich. There's nothing as satisfying as a definitive answer. :whistle:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
01 Feb 2013 10:51 - 01 Feb 2013 11:05 #570228 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Rate My Plugs
What are the #'s on the Plugs your running? Is there an "R" in the part #? This would lower spark energy. But back to your Blown Main Fuse. Voltage drop here is common, lowering voltage to your Whole System, but at the coils results in Weak Spark. 30 year old coils/ wires/ ignition needs servicing Before Carb Tuning. Also Checking the Fuel Level in the Float Bowls would be next, before thinking of jetting. Stock bike, all parts in place good condition, no vacuum leaks etc. Stock jetting should be fine.
OMR has it right.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 01 Feb 2013 11:05 by Motor Head.

More
01 Feb 2013 11:23 - 01 Feb 2013 11:27 #570232 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Rate My Plugs
Here is a different take on OMR's earlier posting I found.
. The main point to remember, these photos (which is the same that OMR has already posted) are only valid if you shut off the engine during or immediately after a good acceleration run and then take the plugs out for reading. Can't expect to do a valid reading after soft acceleration and lots low speed cruising and idling afterwards. The plugs need to be in high function mode when the engine is shut off. Also, as the video points out as do OMR's posting, you only read the base ring color/condition to determine if you are lean or rich. The strap/center electrode relation ship determines if the plug is too cool or hot and not rich or lean. At least that's what I got out of it. Hope this helps.

Joe

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
Last edit: 01 Feb 2013 11:27 by KZJOE900.

More
01 Feb 2013 14:34 - 01 Feb 2013 14:58 #570249 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Rate My Plugs
When the mixture is close to being right, you also have to consider how long the plugs were in the bike, and if the bike was ridden in very cold termperatures last or very hot temperatures. Mixture changes depending on external conditions, so they must be considered. As plugs get old, they will start to get dirty looking, even if the mixture is right. Only if the mixture is way off, will new plugs show it quickly.

This is all in addition to what Motor Head and others have said. Checking mixture and fiddling with carbs is the very last step in the tuning. If you haven't checked everything else first (engine condition, ignition), you may be spinning your wheels.

They look fine to me as long as they have been in the bike for a few weeks or months. If they got that much carbon after a couple hours, that may be a concern.

In my opinion a good looking plug does not necessarily mean all parts of the throttle are proper. And a bad looking plug does not mean all parts of the throttle are bad.

The way to assess all areas, is by doing the jetting performance tests described by Dynojet. Dynojet even states, on current production motorcycles, plug condition is not a great indicator of mixture. I'm not sure if KZ's fall under "current production" since I don't know when this was written. But iv'e found this to be true in wideband testing: when you are close, the plugs no longer are a good indicator on which way to go.

Note: The best way to check the main-jet's performance is to look at the color of the tailpipe after prolonged full-power use. Checking the main in this way will usually be more effective than a plug-check. Due to the increased efficiency in current production motorcycles, a difference that shows up as a white to black color change in the exhaust pipe would be substantially less noticeable on the plugs.

Last edit: 01 Feb 2013 14:58 by loudhvx.

More
01 Feb 2013 14:47 #570250 by Duckhole
Replied by Duckhole on topic Rate My Plugs
When I get home I'll check the numbers on the plugs. I have put about a hundred miles on these and those pics were taken right after a ride hence the plug holder, they were hot. I guess I need to invest in a volt meter. The new fuse worked liked a charm but now I'm riding paranoid waiting for another meltdown hehe. :P