• Page:

TOPIC:

valve lapping and shims??? 25 Jun 2006 11:04 #57010

• steveo_4192003
  • steveo_4192003's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 77kz650b-1
  • Thank you received: 1
i have a ticking noise from a valve i think!
it sounds like in the #2 area and only does this at low idle around 1000 rpms. this also brings the next question?
what is the rpm range for idle?
mine is at 1000 to 1200 and any lower it spit and sputter, then runs rough. so i set it a 1100 and stays idling good
so should i check valve clearance, shim and lapp them?
where do i get parts to lapp and shim them?
can anyone give me insturctions on how to to this?
what tools i need and parts.ect....this is the first time for me to do a valve job on a bike.
my manual is lost in our recent move boxs!!
so a help will be very greatful
1977 kz650b-1, 4-2exhaust systetm, pod filters ,jetted 112 main, 17.5 pilot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

valve lapping and shims??? 25 Jun 2006 11:15 #57016

• wireman
  • Visitor
well in order to lap your valves they need to be removed from head to do this.check your valve clearances.idle speed depends on particular motor and how its assembled and state of tune.;)

valve lapping and shims??? 25 Jun 2006 11:35 #57023

• APE Jay
  • Banned
  • Thank you received: 58
Shimming and lapping are two different things.

Jay

valve lapping and shims??? 25 Jun 2006 17:27 #57083

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
Go to my web site and look at the link called Valve Clearance"... Valves that have clearance will click. Those that are too tight won't. Too much clearance is seldom a problem as clearance decreases as components wear. If you did have way too much clearance, you can nick up your cams but it is more likely that you have too little. These bikes are supposed to click so read the link. Lapping valves involves removing the cylinder head and disassembling it. You then set the valves back into the guides and use a special tool which is essentially a suction cup on a stick. You move the valve back and forth in its seat by rubbing your palms together like you were starting a fire Indian-style. You put lapping compound which is gritty stuff on the face of the valve and seat and the gritty stuff wears both surfaces and smooths them so they will mate up more cleanly. I doubt clicking is caused by poor valve seating as you don't hear this... only have a small lack of compression.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

valve lapping and shims??? 26 Jun 2006 22:24 #57424

• nads.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
Plug the pilot air holes with your finger on one cylinder at a time and listen for the engine to drop rpm. This will tell you wether or not the carbs idle circuits are plugged. The motor will click and clack if one or more cylinders are not supporting the others and it will not idle at the normal level. Check compression after valve clearance is checked/set. Broken rings will make the motor sound and act the same way.

• Page: