Regular Height Breather / Low Profile Breather?

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Jan 2013 00:41 #569884 by 4TheKZ1000
Ok guys.....

I have the high profile or regular breather height cover.

I would like to go to the low profile breather cover.

I guess after you take off the high profile breather cover, you just remove the top ring with rubber boots then install the low profile breather cover?

Is there a benefit to having the high profile over the low profile. I am going to run a remote breather filter.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2013 01:59 #569899 by Patton
Just guessing that the smaller volume of the low profile cover would diminish effectiveness of the breather.

I don't understand the reason for adding a filter onto the breather, which only serves to cleanse air being exhaled from the crankcase. And air isn't being inhaled through the breather into the crankcase.

The stock breather exhales into the airbox, which adds a slight "draw" to help pull the air being exhaled from the breather, and which allows the exhaled air to again pass through the carbs as part of the intake.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
30 Jan 2013 04:54 #569912 by wireman
If you run shorter vent make sure to run a hose up to frame rail under seat the loop back down towards tire to keep oil from blowing out of shorter vent.
In its defense I always do this anyway to keep trash out of crankcase,but in this situation it also helps keep the oil in motor since youre missing the extra baffle in stock vent. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
30 Jan 2013 17:46 #569979 by baldy110

Patton wrote: Just guessing that the smaller volume of the low profile cover would diminish effectiveness of the breather.

I don't understand the reason for adding a filter onto the breather, which only serves to cleanse air being exhaled from the crankcase. And air isn't being inhaled through the breather into the crankcase.

The stock breather exhales into the airbox, which adds a slight "draw" to help pull the air being exhaled from the breather, and which allows the exhaled air to again pass through the carbs as part of the intake.

Good Fortune! :)

The reason to run a filter is to keep as much dirt out of the crankcase as possible. I know the crankcase vent is "supposed" only exhale but that is not correct. It can also suck in air as the engine cools off and or stuff can get into the vent which is a direct route to the internals of the engine. A filter is just another measure to keep crud out.

More
02 Feb 2013 05:36 #570352 by Zedone
I agree with Wireman, I'd run @ 8-12" of hose and put a K&N on it. Guys running blowers ect. like to have the lower profile ones for clearance issues. If you stick the filter directly on the crankcase nipple bolt you will have oil all over (hard throttle)the place.

1977 KZ1000A1
1977 KZ1000A1 (Superbike Project)
1969 Chevrolet C/10 Short Fleet