A little insight on a future build

More
29 Jan 2013 03:34 #569717 by Rowdymk2
A little insight on a future build was created by Rowdymk2
I am planning to build a 1230 big bore kit 13.5:1 cr what is a good cam set to use , will I need a 1300 starter? Will my 29 smooth bores work ok or should I go bigger ?And what kind of power can i make on this motor? The motor I plan to build is a 900 . It has Vance and Hines dyna s ignition and dyna coils and wires 29 mikuni's . This is a budget build I am trying to pull off and I just want to make a desently radical streetbike that has the power to own some crotchrockets at the track.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2013 07:23 - 29 Jan 2013 07:23 #569730 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic A little insight on a future build
Street Bike: You have emissions where you live, not going to pass with such a build.
Is it hot where you live in the summer 90 deg plus, she's not going to like it...
Also, what kind of fuel you planning on running...

Budget build, what kind of $$$ are you speaking of...?
Reasoning, crank will need to be welded no doubt, cases bored open, timing components, possibly under cut tranny, pistons, clutch kits, cylinder bore, cylinder sleeves, camshafts, head P&P with new valves, guides, seals, springs, electronic ignition, oil cooler, frame supports etc.... Ain't cheap...

For that kind of build, save your 29's... RS32-36's or CRS/FCR 33-35's would be better for racing.

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 29 Jan 2013 07:23 by Old Man Rock.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
29 Jan 2013 09:22 #569739 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic A little insight on a future build
You need to start at the bottem end and work your way up if you plan and hammering it at the track.
You need to split the cases and have top case bored for the bigger sleeves to clear,while youre in there Id have the crank checked and welded and replace anything questionable like cam chain and check trans.
Then youll need to have the block bored for the bigger sleeves,might as well throw good studs in there.
Thats before you even start talking about what the head will need. :woohoo:
The 29s are great street carbs but if youre gonna be running the 1/4 mile a lot you might as well figure 33-34mm carbs.
Youre also going to have to deal with chassis issues to handle the new found power.
So if youre on a budget I personally would suggest doing some chassis/suspension upgrades first with the simple bolt on stuff then maybe find a spare motor to build a good bottem end,do the top end when you have the money and everything else sorted out B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.