Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clutch gone 24 Jun 2006 10:08 #56807

• Jarek
  • Jarek's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello, i have a 1980 KZ440 A1 that i was riding last night. I was riding and had the clutch pushed in as i took a turn when all of a sudden i heard a *pop* sound and lost the use of the clutch. The clutch cable went loose, i can switch through the gears by pushing on the gear lever but there is no torque coming to the wheel. My clutch was running pretty thin before, wasen't slipping but it was very thin so i'm wondering if it's just the clutch plates that need replacing..what do you guys think?

jarek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clutch gone 24 Jun 2006 16:44 #56858

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
It's possible you just snapped the clutch cable, which would be "good" because it's an easy and inexpensive repair. The bottom end of the cable could've "jumped the track" also for some reason. Your clutch plates could be just fine. You may want a Kawasaki owners manual or a Factory Service Manual to help you with diagnosing your bike and for info on repairs.
Good Luck.

Clutch gone 24 Jun 2006 23:25 #56904

• AllanB
  • User
Clutch plates slip not pop. Either end ofthe cable could be broken or as stated above there is a little collar that rolls on a bearing on the lower end that may have popped out.

Clutch gone 25 Jun 2006 01:32 #56909

• philcsand
  • User
Guys, if there is no power getting to the rear wheel, then it's probably not a problem with the cable. If it was broken, then it would be impossible to disengage the clutch. As it is, the clutch is stuck in the disengaged state. Chances are the cam that the cable pulls on failed, and jammed in.

My first question is this: Why was the clutch pulled in when you were cornering? You should keep the engine engaged, and pulling revs!

Basically, you're just going to have to tear into the bike, and have a look around. The problem SHOULD be fairly self evident once you get in there. (Stripped, cracked, etc parts tend to stick out like a sore thumb.) If you're not sure that something is or isn't right, take a picture, and post it up here. Other people more familiar with the model of bike will be able to help you out.

One other thing. Does your bike have a kick-starter? If so, does it still work?

Clutch gone 26 Jun 2006 17:37 #57348

• Jarek
  • Jarek's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. No the bike does not have a kick start and no the cable is not snapped. I took off the engine cover where the clutch cable goes to and the cable is not snapped anywhere inside. However, i noticed a screw is missing from the clutch adjusting cover so perhaps the issue is related to that bearing unit attached on the inside. I'll take a closer look on the weekend and take pictures if i have any issues. Hopefully it's just a small issue

jarek

• Page: