Lollipopping a Kerker megaphone?

More
13 Jan 2013 18:25 #567211 by staniel
Lollipopping a Kerker megaphone? was created by staniel
I've done a lot (a LOT) of digging on the so-called internet about exhaust baffles. It sounds like the lollipop is a surprisingly effective silencer and back-pressure adjustment method. Some people say they get better XXXXX-range performance from their bike once they put one of these in. "Way better than the straight pipe and surprisingly better than the baffle" they say.

I'm thinking I'll put in a slight reducer, then a custom-cut circle with a half inch hole in the middle.

Has anyone done one of these? How close do you guys think I could get to effectively replacing the original Kerker baffle that blew out?

1983 KZ750 L3 with 4-1 Kerker pipe and pods
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2013 18:43 - 13 Jan 2013 18:46 #567212 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Lollipopping a Kerker megaphone?
Sounds suspiciously like a 'snuff-or-not' which was an over-the-counter exhaust mechanism for early model Hondas' allowing you to run straight pipes and with a twist of the fingers, to have a almost normally silenced motorcycle. It worked great. Basically, it was a large washer almost the diameter of the exhaust pipe (with a 1/2 to 3/4 inch hole in the washer)...a hole was drilled in the pipe, a peg extending from the side of the washer fit through this hole and a knurled knob with a tension spring fit on the edge of the washer peg. With the 'snuff-or-not' turned so the washer was parallel with the exhaust flow...you had straight pipes...at a 90 to the exhaust flow, it was surprisingly quiet and attracted no attention from the police.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 13 Jan 2013 18:46 by Mcdroid.

More
13 Jan 2013 18:45 #567213 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Lollipopping a Kerker megaphone?
Jegs sells these for inserting in megaphone. Thought about trying one to see how they would do...

www.jegs.com/p/Dynatech/Dynatech-Vortex-...ones/750014/10002/-1

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcdroid

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
13 Jan 2013 20:22 #567222 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic Lollipopping a Kerker megaphone?
the lollipop works to get out flat spots, ive done it on a few cafe racers, its not really for silencing but to get backpressure and you can tune the amount by the angle of the washer welded to the bolt. its cheap and easy

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

More
13 Jan 2013 20:31 #567223 by staniel
Replied by staniel on topic Lollipopping a Kerker megaphone?
Mcdroid! Snuff-or-not!! Thanks for telling me about that. Yes, that's roughly what I'm thinking of.

Usually exhaust mods require re-jetting, right? Do you know how these would compare to an original baffle? When my exhaust blew out I had to raise the needles 2.5 notches and my mileage went from 46mpg to 36mpg. I'd sure like to get that 46 back.

Lushbaugh, that's very helpful information. Thank you. My exhaust is deafening right now. Like "please arrest me - I obviously resent everyone" loud, and I would really like to quiet it down a lot.

Another thought I had (which is unrelated, and more for people other than for me) was: if you put the washer/disk on a light tension spring, it could flex out of the way when higher speed gas was coming out, sort of converting to an open pipe at high RPMs. Or hang a heavy sock off the end.

1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

More
31 Jan 2013 18:52 #570133 by Rickman
Replied by Rickman on topic Lollipopping a Kerker megaphone?
Kinda like this corvette muffler?

1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

More
02 Feb 2013 01:38 #570331 by staniel
Replied by staniel on topic Lollipopping a Kerker megaphone?
I'm not sure what's going on in that pipe, so I can't say for sure.

An update, though, is that I made one of these: www.dynatechheaders.com/access_vortex.html

I can't upload a picture of the one I made, for some reason. Stupid internet.

But research has revealed that these cones reduce volume but don't increase backpressure. So I'll have to weld the big-ass washer onto the mounting plate!

1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike
Attachments:

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Feb 2013 05:11 #570351 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Lollipopping a Kerker megaphone?

staniel wrote: I'm not sure what's going on in that pipe, so I can't say for sure.

An update, though, is that I made one of these: www.dynatechheaders.com/access_vortex.html

I can't upload a picture of the one I made, for some reason. Stupid internet.

But research has revealed that these cones reduce volume but don't increase backpressure. So I'll have to weld the big-ass washer onto the mounting plate!

At least that cone will stop the Cops billy club from sliding in the pipe, saying you had an open header :laugh: :laugh:
I just got rid of this for $9.99 A small baffle, 1 6mm bolt hole drilled in cone.
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=111004586389

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!