kz750 no spark?

More
11 Jan 2013 14:01 #566862 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic kz750 no spark?
That will damage the 1-4 pickup in the Dyna S for sure.

It sounds like the 2-3 pickup in the Dyna S may be fried.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2013 14:04 #566864 by kwnics
Replied by kwnics on topic kz750 no spark?
Yes the ohms tested around 12 on good one and .180 or so one faulty one. So I believe its the ignition but correct me if there is another part that could be failing.

More
11 Jan 2013 14:18 #566865 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz750 no spark?
Dyna-S ignition has two pickup modules.

The forward (aka 3 o'clock aka right-hand) module signals the ignition coil for inside spark plugs #2 and #3.

The wire from the module to the ignition coil might be internally broken, whereby the ignition coil isn't receiving signals from the Dyna-S module.

Or there might be a short between the ignition coil mounting spacer and the head of the screw that attaches the Dyna-S signal wire to the ignition coil.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Jan 2013 14:36 #566866 by Patton
Dyna-S ignition includes a rotor with an embedded magnet about the size of a pencil eraser.

When the magnet passes by the pick-up module, it's supposed to unground the ignition coil, which "ungrounding" is the event that supposedly causes the ignition coil to fire through the secondary loop.

It would appear that the signal wire from the 9 o'clock Dyna-S pickup module is functioning to ground and unground an ignition coil through the 9 o'clock module, as designed.

But that the signal wire from the 3 o'clock Dyna-S pickup module is failing -- for whatever reason -- to ground and unground an ignition coil through the 3 o'clock module.
Could be a broken or shorted signal wire, dirty pickup module, mis-aligned pickup module, or a fried pickup module.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
16 Jan 2013 22:15 #567758 by kwnics
Okay I put in a new dyna s ignition and now have spark to all plugs. The bike still won't fire up minus one Tim I put starter fluid on one plug and it fired up but idle was to high so shut it off and now it won't fire up again. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

More
17 Jan 2013 08:16 #567860 by Patton

kwnics wrote: Okay I put in a new dyna s ignition and now have spark to all plugs. The bike still won't fire up minus one Tim I put starter fluid on one plug and it fired up but idle was to high so shut it off and now it won't fire up again. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Would assure that the Dyna-S rotor isn't installed 180° out.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Jan 2013 12:59 #567880 by kwnics
I think its in there correct not 100% sure about the timing though.

More
17 Jan 2013 17:13 #567913 by kwnics
So I got it to start up! There was white smoke coming from exhaust. Is that from condensation?

More
17 Jan 2013 17:46 #567916 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic kz750 no spark?
It depends on how cold the exhaust system was. I'd pull the plugs, checking for signs of oil burning/fouling too. Oil buring may be caused by worn piston rings, or valve guides & valve stem seals wearing.If the white smoke goes away, it might be condensation burning off.

Do a compression test,and leakdown check to determine the condition of the combustion chambers.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)