model years and interchangeable parts

More
08 Jan 2013 19:13 #566398 by ads990
I have what i think is a 1976 KZ400s. the engine number is k4se014034. My first question is am i correct in guessing its a 400 special? My next question is because parts are so hard to find, are the 76 engines the same as the 77? I have low compression and the dark line of deposits around the head gasket but cant seem to find a gasket set for the 76. Any help is greatly appreciated. The only head gasket for a 76 i found kawi wants 150 for and I find that a little high considering the 77 and 77 full kits are only 50.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2013 19:30 #566400 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic model years and interchangeable parts
You might find this link helpful:

www.kz400.com/ModelidentificationFrameset.html

Look at pictures under “(K)Z400/400 Specs.” If you click on the 1976 S2 picture it shows your engine serial number is in the correct range for the 1976 Special. The Special can be easily identified by the front drum brake; the regular model had a front disk. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
08 Jan 2013 19:43 #566403 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic model years and interchangeable parts
Kawasaki.com currently shows several earlier and later KZ400 models using the same head gasket. Keep in mind, Kawasaki.com does sometimes have errors, so you may want to check other sources before buying. The site I gave a link to in my previous posting would probably be an excellent source. Ed

Attachment 00000_2013-01-08-3.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
08 Jan 2013 19:53 #566407 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic model years and interchangeable parts
The 400's had a bunch of mix-and-match models. Some of the 77 400's were similar to the 76 models, but most were changed to use different carbs, charging systems etc.

If your bike has drums front and back, a 2-into-1 exhaust, no electric starter, no tachometer, then it is the S2 model, I believe. It should have the earlier CV carbs that use pistons instead of diaphragms. You can tell the difference since the piston cv carbs will have large cofee-mug shaped covers on the tops, the diaphragm cv carbs will have a smaller, pie-plate shaped cover on top.

If your motor is not actually leaking, I wouldn't mess with it. Just clean it. Head gaskets are indeed getting hard to come by on those motors, and once they come apart, they seldom go back together as well as the factory did it, especially without factory gaskets etc.

More
08 Jan 2013 21:24 #566427 by ads990
Replied by ads990 on topic model years and interchangeable parts
WOW, you guys are fast. Thank you for the info.The dealer near me ordered a few gaskets and ill compare once they come in, I did a leak test earlier and sprayed soapy water around the gaskets and the majority of the front leaked.while doing the teardown i noticed the L exhaust valve was also not sealing right. 650ed- the site you recommended was awsome. Thank you again guys youve been really helpful