Custom fab Kerker baffle?

More
05 Jan 2013 14:12 #565979 by staniel
Custom fab Kerker baffle? was created by staniel
It's been a while!

I'm wondering if anyone has experience fabricating exhaust baffles. I'd love to make mine in the style of a car exhaust, where gas goes in multiple tubes and fights to get out, killing sound all along. Does anyone have experience doing this?

I blew my exhaust out on this summer's big ride, leaving only a pipe. Had to adjust the carbs on the road, and I don't like it. It's time to replace the lost parts, and new ones cost around $100.

I've got the megaphone style, where it slowly tapers out to about 2-7/8" at the very end. Fortunately the meat head I bought my parts bike from had a bonus exhaust. Unfortunately, he ripped out the baffles on both of them, and left only one end cap on one. Feeling around in there I'm pretty sure he torch cut the tube off.

1983 KZ750 L3 with 4-1 Kerker pipe and pods
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
05 Jan 2013 14:21 #565981 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Custom fab Kerker baffle?
They work fine with just the end cap B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
05 Jan 2013 14:29 #565982 by staniel
Replied by staniel on topic Custom fab Kerker baffle?
wireman! Thanks for the reply - I really appreciate it.

I really miss my old sound (rather quiet). It was nice - I didn't feel like a terrorist every time I pulled into a camp site after 6.

And would like to move my carb needles back down and turn the pilot screws back to 2.5 out instead of 4 out. Basically, this new open exhaust has taken my mileage from 45 to 38, and it makes a big difference for the rides I do.

Would a cap do that?

1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

• wireman
  • User
More
05 Jan 2013 14:40 #565984 by wireman
The cap will give you back a lot of the bottem end torque and will quiet it down greatly in the lower to mid range of the rpms.
It will still give you more power in the higher rpm ranges than the baffle will allow,id try running it with cap installed first before changing jetting B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
05 Jan 2013 14:45 #565985 by staniel
Replied by staniel on topic Custom fab Kerker baffle?
Too late! I had to adjust the needles on the road. I can easily move them back down, though.

I'll pull the cap out of this one and throw it in mine and turn in the screws and see what happens. Mean time I'm looking at pictures online that people took from the other end of their house through two windows to get a good sense of what I need to make. I'll probably just wind up buying a used one.

So that cap will make a reduction in noise? Even though it's got a 1.5" hole right in the middle of it, and that hole doesn't connect to a tube? It's seriously just a hole in a cone..

1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

• wireman
  • User
More
05 Jan 2013 14:57 #565986 by wireman
Yes it will make it a lot quieter in normal operating range,I used to sneak my z1 around with a 13.5:1 1197 motor that way and the law never gave it a 2nd glance.
I ran my 1327 bike around that way also,when Id get it to the track Id just pop the cap out of there and go racing ,then shove it back in for the ride home B)

More
05 Jan 2013 17:31 - 05 Jan 2013 17:31 #565998 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Custom fab Kerker baffle?
Back in the day, a company called Cone Engineering made the megaphones for all of the pipe people. Then Vance and Hines bought Cone Engineering. So if you want a baffle, I would think a Vance and Hines might fit right in that Kerker.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2013 17:31 by APE Jay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman