smoke smoke and smoke

More
03 Jan 2013 23:16 #565789 by MrM0nk3y
smoke smoke and smoke was created by MrM0nk3y
I just recently bought a 78 ltd 1000. k&n pods and 4into1 exhaust, and when i start it after it warms up which takes a while (its pretty cold here though) it starts to smoke. I'm not sure if its just exhaust leaks which i tried to fix but ended up breaking a collar or if its something serious. my valve cover gasket looks good on the carb side but my cam caps and the gasket on the exhaust side look pretty bad. in fact the cam caps on the throttle side melted a little bit. but theres no oil leak that i can find so i'm not sure what the problem could be. ill fix the exhaust once is get new collars and see what happens from there, also side note i get a lot of carb popping while the bike warms up and im not sure why that is but i was told the carbs were jetted for the exhaust and pods.

74' kz400 (resto side project)
78' kz1000 LTD (cafe main project)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2013 14:08 #565837 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic smoke smoke and smoke
IS the smoke blue and coming out of the ends of the exhaust pipes or off the front of the motor? The tach drive can and will leak oil right onto the exhaust.

More
05 Jan 2013 00:20 #565932 by MrM0nk3y
Replied by MrM0nk3y on topic smoke smoke and smoke
Its while smoke from the front of the motor but my tach drive looks good no leakage and my exaust doesnt look like its been burning anything off of it.

More
05 Jan 2013 00:34 #565937 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic smoke smoke and smoke
Would thoroughly clean the engine, allow it to completely dry, spray foot powder onto suspected leak areas (all over edges of the cam cover and head gaskets, around the tach drive and exhaust clamps, etc.).
Should then look like a clean white blanket of freshly fallen snow.

Start the engine, and watch for appearance of darkening area where the oil is coming through the powder.

The source of leak is usually very evident.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Jan 2013 15:11 #566367 by silentchris
Replied by silentchris on topic smoke smoke and smoke
it could be brake fluid if someone swapped the master or bled them and spilled it down the front. it burns off white and takes forever to go away.

Speed is only a question of money. How fast do you wanna go?
1978 kz1000 ltd
Hailing from the wild suburbs of our nations capital

More
09 Jan 2013 00:05 #566467 by MrM0nk3y
Replied by MrM0nk3y on topic smoke smoke and smoke
hmm thats interesting i have never thought of that. i got my new collars today so ill see what happens tomorrow and i'll update