"While you're in there" jobs? - GPZ1100 bottom end

More
13 Dec 2012 20:39 #562860 by moorepower
Hello all, this is my first post, so be gentle. :P

I'm fixin' to tear into the crankcase of my '81 GPZ1100, and I was wondering if there were any usual problem areas that I should pay close attention to, or any parts that I should plan on replacing whether they need it or not.

This was a good-running, low mileage engine about ten years ago when I parked it ( :blush: ), but it's been sitting in my shed with the top end removed for about the last year or so. I plan on replacing all the gaskets and seals, cleaning out all the dirt and varmints that may be in there, and generally checking everything over.

I was also thinking of sending the crank out to be trued and welded, and maybe putting in some APE main studs. Is this necessary for a street bike? Anything else I'm missing?

Any input is appreciated.

'81 GPZ1100 mutt, coming out of 10 year hibernation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
13 Dec 2012 22:58 #562884 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic "While you're in there" jobs? - GPZ1100 bottom end
Welcome Moorepower :laugh:
Cam Drive chain for sure, (Just because ).
Top end and lower end studs are nice ( I have them ) but not a mandatory
Weld and check the crank as mentioned
Question
What motor upgrades if any are you planning
This would help us all guide you thru what is needed vs what is nice

AND Where are the pictures !!!
B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
14 Dec 2012 00:11 #562888 by wireman
Save your money and don't worry about main studs,spend your money on anything worn/questionable while youre in there.
Definitely check out the crank B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
14 Dec 2012 01:04 #562898 by moorepower

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Question
What motor upgrades if any are you planning
This would help us all guide you thru what is needed vs what is nice

AND Where are the pictures !!!
B) B) B)

Eventually I'm planning a Wiseco 1170 kit, some mild cams, V&H header, and an as-yet undetermined carb upgrade. I'm looking for good mid-range power, not so much peak hp. I'm getting too old for that. ;)

Here's a couple of pics from when it was more or less all together. Sadly, I've sold the exhaust, fork brace, and cylinder head since these were taken.

'81 GPZ1100 mutt, coming out of 10 year hibernation

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
14 Dec 2012 02:05 #562921 by Motor Head
Have you got the factory manual for the bike? It will have all the info needed to inspect the engine/ trans/ clutch.
The manual in my signature will have most info for your engine, a pdf file download. Adobe Reader or another pdf reader is required.
Along with the gaskets and seals, an up grade of the valve stem oil seals is a good idea. Teflon seals are available.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...