erratic idling

• gumbytoogood
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Dec 2012 23:13 #561801 by gumbytoogood
erratic idling was created by gumbytoogood
So I have a 76 KZ900 and I bought this bike not running, and all i have done to it since i have gotten it is clean the carbs to get it running, and adjusted them. Ran perfectly fine for about 2 months before i had gone down in my bike and had some what seemed to be just some cosmetic damage on one side. Im ok the bike was too or at least i thought. ever since then its been having a weird idle. i have to constantly adjust the idle with the "idle knob" underneath the gas tank. i would have to adjust it till it lowers the rpms so my bike doesnt burn itself out at 5-6 rpms. when im riding its ok but after every stop and even sometimes while im riding i have to adjust on the fly for proper throttle. i was told it needs maybe valve adjustments. appreciate the help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2012 23:59 #561805 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic erratic idling
Check the carb holders for leaks.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
08 Dec 2012 03:32 #562000 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic erratic idling
Had a strap break and drop a bike in the back of a u-haul once, idled way high, couldnt get it to idle down

Checked for vacuum leaks and found none, ended up having to re-synch the carbs. Something got bent on me, i would start with checking for vacuum leaks with an UN-lit propane plumbers torch

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew