Motorcycle Oils

More
06 Dec 2012 11:34 #561656 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Motorcycle Oils

donthaveakawman wrote: What about Torco oil, must be good I paid 10 USA dollars for a liter.

If you got the motorcycle oil, then it is probably good, as it has the JASO MA rating. One motorcycle oil is probably as good as the next & they are typically high priced.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
06 Dec 2012 17:57 #561728 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Motorcycle Oils
twas the t-4.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
06 Jan 2013 06:15 #566067 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic Motorcycle Oils
The next thing one must wonder to oneself whence changing a motorcycle oil is.... does a motorcycle wet clutch, which just so happens to reside in the oil have asbestos in it due to it's age? :woohoo:

More
07 Jan 2013 09:10 #566199 by davel
Replied by davel on topic Motorcycle Oils
Does anyone have experience with Alisyn ProDrive 21? Check out this link
(the entire video is worth a watch) Brock has a very good reputation with modern sport bikes. Alisyn also makes heavier weight synthetics.

More ProDrive 21 specs here www.aerospacelubricants.com/files/sheets...20type%201%20tds.pdf

More
07 Jan 2013 10:40 #566202 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Motorcycle Oils
I wouldn't use it in my bike. I cannot find any reference on the internet to it being JASO-MA compliant, and I can find nothing that shows was is in it. I suspect it has moly in it and that is not good for clutches. Also, I am of the impression that the guy in the video is being paid to sell the stuff, and I believe he will say anything to do so. Here's why I say that: In the video at time 4:36 he starts trying to sell Petron oil additive. At 4:44 he claims it will increase your clutch life. At 5:16 he states it has solids in it so you must shake it up to use it. I may be wrong, but I do not believe any lube with solids (probably moly) of such a size that you must shake it up to use it would be good for a wet clutch. I suspect those solids would end up coating the clutch friction plates and cause problems rather than improve the performance of the clutch. Again, I might be wrong on this, but until I see the JASO-MA rating, or at least a sheet that shows the contents of the oil, I wouldn't use it in my bike. There are plenty of different oils available at different price ranges that meet the JASO-MA standard, some dino type and some fully synthetic, so I see no benefit to gambling with an oil that might create a problem. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluezbike

More
07 Jan 2013 17:26 - 07 Jan 2013 17:27 #566244 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Motorcycle Oils
If it has solids in it, they could be moly, graphite or PTFE (Teflon) powder none of which will do your clutch any good.

I have never seen any convincing data showing that such floating "friction reducer" powder is of any benefit to any engine application, since the powder has no way to know where to "bond" itself to or any way to bond. It just floats free in the oil which means any kind of pressure will disperse it. So, any bearing surfaces will likely not have any of the "friction reducer" powder but your oil filter will be loaded with it as well as many surfaces in the engine where the oil sits.

The moly additive was thrown in when they had to take out the ZDDP wear reducing agent, which actually does bond a metallic layer to the metal which acts as a sacrificial wear layer which protects against wear. I am yet to be convinced moly floating in oil does anything good. Moly grease works because the grease holds it where you put it, in oil it just floats around.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 07 Jan 2013 17:27 by bountyhunter.

More
07 Jan 2013 17:30 #566245 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Motorcycle Oils
I use Amsoil 10w-40 exclusively - I average 12,000 miles per year on my KZ900 and have had 0 issues. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for with motor oil, Amsoil isn't the cheapest, but it's the best. B)

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
07 Jan 2013 18:24 #566251 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Motorcycle Oils
My problem with the Amsoil is the salesman. Every person I know that sells it insists you a fool for not running it. Sale done here!
Every thing I've heard and read is good about it but pressure wont sell it to me. :blush:

Les
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
07 Jan 2013 20:03 #566262 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Motorcycle Oils

les holt wrote: My problem with the Amsoil is the salesman. Every person I know that sells it insists you a fool for not running it. Sale done here!
Every thing I've heard and read is good about it but pressure wont sell it to me. :blush:

Les

Definitely,sales people like that send to send me across the street to nearest competitor!
And besides if I want somebody to call me an idiot I have the wife on the payroll just for that purpose! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.