Clutch issues?

More
18 Nov 2012 05:06 #558922 by Mr.Wizard
Clutch issues? was created by Mr.Wizard
Full disclosure: I have no idea what I'm talking about, so bear with me.

Recently bought a 440 and love it. I was driving on the interstate when I had a total loss of acceleration so I pulled over and did some experimenting. The engine idles and rev's fine, but there's only the slightest hint of power going to the wheels. I cracked the right side, cleaned everything up and replaced the very worn clutch plates, but still nothing.

The bike seems to be a hodge podge of KZ parts, so I'm not sure how accurate each manual I'm following is, but I noticed that my model didn't have the small sphere (bearing?) that should be inside the center of the clutch plate assembly, the rod that goes behind the bearing has a little play in it (Which seemed like how it's supposed to work?). The gears all seem to be shifting fine, I just can't get enough power to actually move.

Theres a slight clacking when I rev it and let the clutch past the friction zone, but I haven't given it much because I'm worried I'll make whatevers wrong worse.

Any ideas? Do I have a ground down something or another in my transmission? Please help, I'm dying without my bike!

UPDATE:

Did more research, the engine is the same style as the "1982 KZ440D3 LATE MODEL" with the clutch cable connecting on the right side. It has a double sided spring plate pusher and doesn't use the spherical ball or have a clutch push rod assembly from the left side of the bike. I opened her back up and everything looks like it's assembled correctly based on that manual. I pulled out the clutch arm that the cable attaches to and shined a light into the hole facing down, I can see the end of the spring rod pusher clearly, it looks and feel like it's engaging fine.

What the hell gives?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2012 07:00 - 18 Nov 2012 07:01 #558926 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Clutch issues?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 Nov 2012 07:01 by Patton.

More
18 Nov 2012 12:54 #558953 by Mr.Wizard
Replied by Mr.Wizard on topic Clutch issues?
Already posted the same exact thread there :-). Ive scoured the appropriate engine manual to no avail

More
18 Nov 2012 16:13 #558984 by Mr.Wizard
Replied by Mr.Wizard on topic Clutch issues?
Figured it out, stripped to hell front pulley. Looks like it was machined smooth, not a single tooth left.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
18 Nov 2012 16:38 #558989 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Clutch issues?
Belt drive pulley?
If it chewed up a pulley Id say the belt and other pulley arent long for world. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
19 Nov 2012 11:47 - 19 Nov 2012 11:48 #559118 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Clutch issues?

Attachment Image.gif not found

Cant seem to find a front pulley part number
B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Nov 2012 11:48 by wireman.