Valve clearances and timing

More
17 Nov 2012 23:52 #558889 by Mirbooya
Valve clearances and timing was created by Mirbooya
Hi all, today I went to check the valve clearances on my 1981 kz 750 e2. First problem is that there was no clearance on any of the valves. Second problem is that I have noticed the timing chain aligned between the 47th and 48th pin as opossed to the 45th and 46th pin as mentioned in the manual.
The bike has always ran a little rough on start up, then idle high (1500 rpm) when warmed up. This could explain the lack of valve clearance as the partly opened valve would cause it to run lean when warmed up. My question though is about the timing, would it even run with what I have noticed? It was running not too bad and I am second guessing my observations.

1981 Z750 L1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2012 05:10 #558923 by Mirbooya
Replied by Mirbooya on topic Valve clearances and timing

Attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353226100.261107.jpg not found

Here is an image of the instruction I am following. I need to get some thinner shims to correct the clearance, when I do I can post an image of how it is set up

1981 Z750 L1
Attachments:

More
18 Nov 2012 07:35 #558927 by Mirbooya

More
20 Nov 2012 01:22 #559233 by Mirbooya
Got it all back together last night, clearances checked and adjusted. The tip about using only feeler gauges in 0.05mm increments because these are what the shims come in was a good one. Also, rotating the crank slowly whilst trying to insert the gauge, another very good tip.

Here are some images of the timing as now corrected. As I mentioned in the original post, the inlet cam was set two pins further around (anti-clockwise when viewed from the photo). I have turned it over by hand, pulling the chain tight in the middle of the two cams, and all appears to be o.k. Wondering if anyone had any comment?

1981 Z750 L1
Attachments:

More
20 Nov 2012 23:38 #559387 by Mirbooya
Fired the bike up this morning and everything worked very well. I've had the bike about 6 months, done 5,000 km. All this time with the timing out two links. Bike feels much smoother now and way more powerful.

The job was very daunting at first, but after reading up on the manual and all the great information on this forum, it became much more approachable.

1981 Z750 L1

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Nov 2012 11:09 #559425 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Valve clearances and timing
Wow, cam timing was out quite a ways from your description. I wonder who worked on it putting it back with the timing out of whack?
Good to hear you got it sorted and the bike runs much much better I bet.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mirbooya

More
21 Nov 2012 11:26 #559427 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Valve clearances and timing
Glad to see you got things straightened out. You should give yourself a gold star for checking the valve timing; that really was a smart thing to do; otherwise you may have chased the problem forever with no solution. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mirbooya