Help! Engine bogging around 5-k rpms

More
17 Nov 2012 22:55 #558879 by CafeKid
Help! Engine bogging around 5-k rpms was created by CafeKid
Alright well no luck posting in the carbs section, I've got a '79 KZ400 B2 that bogs down around 5-6k rpms and wont go much faster than 50 mph (55-60 mph if I ease it up)

-Checked and replaced both vacuum valves(carb slides)
-Carbs have been cleaned thoroughly
-Points are correct clearance
-Motor runs smooth at low rpms

The right side exhaust was much cooler so I assumed it had to do with the right cylinder but nothing I've tried has helped!

Had a friend mention the coils maybe having something to with it? What do you guys think?
Thanks!

'79 KZ400

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2012 23:33 #558885 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Help! Engine bogging around 5-k rpms
What are you using for air filtration? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
18 Nov 2012 00:07 #558892 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Help! Engine bogging around 5-k rpms
If not already done, would perform the clear tube test to check float bowl fuel level.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
18 Nov 2012 01:02 #558897 by CafeKid
Replied by CafeKid on topic Help! Engine bogging around 5-k rpms
ed - Just using the stock Air fliter, looked pretty clean.

Patton - Ill see if can try that in the next day or two and let you know what happens

'79 KZ400

More
18 Nov 2012 01:43 #558903 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Help! Engine bogging around 5-k rpms
Some places to look at:

1. Original ignition coils,sparkplug wires & sparkplug caps? All should be replaced, as they are probably beyond their serviceable life. www.z1enterprises.com sells the popular "Emgo" coils to keep cost down, but if you want better coils, go with "Dyna" 2.2 or 3 ohm coils or "Accel" 3 ohm coils.

2.Replace the ignition capacitors, as they go bad from heat and vibration.

3.Check the operation of the mechanical ignition advancer with the engine off. It's behind a CD sized, right engine cover. Give it a twist, it should snap back, if not, make note of how it's assembled on the crankshaft & remove and lube it. Usually a dab of high temp bearing grease on the moving parts is about all it needs. The weight's,and the tube it moves on are the most important.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Nov 2012 01:47 #558904 by MFolks
If you do upgrade your ignition coils & sparkplug wires, read this:

Ignition Coils And Sparkplug Wire Choices

What came with the bike, were ignition coils that even when new were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in the stop and go traffic, and the coils will probably fail when hot.
Now, you have a choice on sparkplug wires:

1.Copper plug wires with no supression caps (the best choice, but will produce audio noise on Radio’s and TV’s). Not only do the copper core wires deliver better spark, they will also deliver a much longer lifespan - carbon core wires are prone to erratic spark delivery and early breakdown, & short lifespan.

2.Copper plug wires with supression caps (a built in 5000 ohm resistor, that can sometimes fail, (like what came with the bike).

3.Copper plug wires with no supression caps, but using resistor plugs(the “R” in the plug number).

4.Supression plug wires with no supression caps.

NEVER use resistor plugs combined with supression caps along with supression plug wires, as now there will be possibly three (3) sources of resistance in the secondary windings of the ignition coils, greatly reducing the spark energy.

Another choice is the Accel 3 ohm coils, with a similar, primary(small wire)electrical connection, using ring terminals as the Dyna ignition coils do. Whatever brand of coil you go with, make sure the primary wires will clear the mounting hardware, as the spacers come close, possibly blowing a fuse. Some riders have replaced the metal spacers with non conductive Nylon spacers, reducing the chance of an electrical problem.

7mm sparkplug wires will fit the stock ignition coils(if they have replaceable wires, indicated by screw off caps on the coils with ridges). The sparkplug wires fit into a port with a brass ”Stinger” that goes into the sparkplug wire or lead(the Brit’s. Canadians, and other countries call the sparkplug wires (“High Tension Leads”).

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
18 Nov 2012 09:50 #558932 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Help! Engine bogging around 5-k rpms

CafeKid wrote: ed - Just using the stock Air fliter, looked pretty clean.

Patton - Ill see if can try that in the next day or two and let you know what happens

That's good! You can rule out the typical pod related bog. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• 78z1Joe
  • User
  • My man cave is my garage....
More
18 Nov 2012 10:11 #558935 by 78z1Joe
Replied by 78z1Joe on topic Help! Engine bogging around 5-k rpms
Mmmm...Do you know the history of this bike? Have you been inside the carbs lately? My bike was running great and then started to have a stumble and hesitation at 4 k rpm. Would not pull past 5 k max. I checked everything. Number 2 cylinder was cooler than the rest, I used a spray bottle, not my hand, to see how fast the water vaporized. Finally, pulled the carbs to check the floats. Found the main jet had backed out and was sitting in the float bowl. I should have took a photo. Guess I didn't tighten it enough. Runs great now.
Any thoughts about using blue lock tight if it falls out again?

1978 KZ 1000
1982 GS 300 training bike
Previous Rides...
75 RD 350
72 CB 500 Four
72 SL 125
71 CT 70
69 3 1/2 HP mini bike

More
18 Nov 2012 16:58 #558997 by MFolks
The BLUE Loctite is removable with tools, most of the RED Loctite is only removable by first applying high heat(usually 300 degrees).

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
19 Nov 2012 09:30 #559096 by CafeKid
MFolks - Hopefully tuesday or wednesday I'll have a minute to sit down and test the floats and if thats not the problem I'll go further into the coils, spark-plug wires, and plugs. Although I'd like to swap the wires and coils since I doubt they've been changed since they were first put on in the factory :laugh:. To the bikes defense everything so far looks like its in great condition though! But by ignition capacitors do you mean the ignition condensers? Or is that a different part? Thanks!

Ed - Exactly!:)

78z1Joe - Just cleaned out the carbs the other day so I dont think its a loose jet, thanks. Good to know about the loctite for future reference though!

'79 KZ400

More
19 Nov 2012 16:57 #559149 by MFolks
Thread Locking Compounds
www.loctiteproducts.com/

Loctite #222MS PURPLE, low strength thread locker
For screws under ¼”.

Loctite #242 BLUE, Medium strength thread locker
For ¼” to ¾” bolts.

Loctite # 262 RED, High strength thread locker permanent
For up to ¾” bolts (can be loosened by 300 F heat).

Loctite #271 RED, High strength thread locker for sealing plugs, nuts and bolts (can be loosened by 300 F heat).

Loctite # 272 RED, High strength, high temperature(450 F) thread locker.

Loctite #565 Pipe Joint Compound.

Loctite #567 High Temperature Pipe Joint Compound

Loctite #6749 Primer

Loctite #515 Flange & Gasket Sealers

www.permatex.com/

Permatex # 24310 Low strength thread locker, PURPLE, fasteners under ¼” diameter.

Permatex # 22210 Medium/high strength thread locker, BLUE, ¼” to ¾” fasteners, surface insensitive (can be used on oily fasteners).

Permatex # 24210 Medium strength thread locker, BLUE, ¼” to ¾” fasteners.
Permatex # 27710 High strength thread locker, RED, 3/8” to 1 inch fasteners, may require heat for removal.

Permatex # 26210 Permanent strength thread locker. RED, 3/8” to 1 inch fasteners, will require heat for removal.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
The following user(s) said Thank You: CafeKid

More
30 Nov 2012 20:18 #560705 by CafeKid
Alright so finally had an afternoon to check out the bike. Checked the fuel level with the clear tube test, fuel level looked a bit higher than normal so I'll see if I can open up that carb again and check the float, the tang, and the needle valve.
Although I havent been able to find the mm measurements in my service manual for the distance from the top of the floats to the side of the carb body.
Is it a pretty universal measurement for these bike or do they all differ?

'79 KZ400