oil filter spring

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
12 Nov 2012 04:37 #558015 by donthaveakawman
oil filter spring was created by donthaveakawman
I suppose running one of these bikes without the spring under the oil filter will not ruin the engine oil flow. It will, however circulate unfiltered oil through the engine. I have done this not knowing about it, though i guess the oil filter is so hard to get on the thing that it would probably stay there without a problem if you don't put it in all the way. something with the rubber gaskets i guess. Anyways with that said i think piston rings and valve seals are next on the agenda along with busted knuckles and greasy fingernails. yoohoo. :blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2012 09:47 #558032 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic oil filter spring
The oil filter should not be difficult to install. It slips onto the oil filter valve (bolt) rather easily, especially once it is past the threads. Be sure to lube the rubber grommets on the filter with some fresh engine oil before installing. Remember that between the spring and the filter there should be a thin flat washer. Usually, there's no big problem if it's missing, but it should be there. Ed

Attachment 00000_2012-11-12.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
12 Nov 2012 12:02 - 22 Jan 2013 00:36 #558044 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic oil filter spring

Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 00:36 by H1Vindicator.

• donthaveakawman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
12 Nov 2012 19:49 - 12 Nov 2012 19:51 #558106 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic oil filter spring

650ed wrote: The oil filter should not be difficult to install. It slips onto the oil filter valve (bolt) rather easily, especially once it is past the threads. Be sure to lube the rubber grommets on the filter with some fresh engine oil before installing. Remember that between the spring and the filter there should be a thin flat washer. Usually, there's no big problem if it's missing, but it should be there. Ed

Attachment 00000_2012-11-12.jpg not found

That's the one, number 27. from what i understand it will keep the spring from going into the filter.
Probably generates better oil mileage also.
Last edit: 12 Nov 2012 19:51 by donthaveakawman.

More
12 Nov 2012 21:22 #558123 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic oil filter spring
All the spring and washer do is keep the filter pushed up under a little spring preesure. Failure to have them does nothing to cause unfiltered oil to flow in any way or any other problem. Common wives tale about the oil filtration problem. If the filter is up or down 1/4" variance on the bolt the engine doesn't know it, oil still gets pumped out the holes of the bolt out through the filter.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.