KZ1000 Accel coils with Dyna S - Wire Question

• 1slickKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Nov 2012 18:02 #557526 by 1slickKZ1000
This might be a stupid question... I just bought a Dyna S to replace my points and I got a set of (yellow) Accel coils / wire. The plug wire caps that come stock with the coil kit are straight so I want to get 4 NGK 120 deg (or 45 deg) caps. I found "NGK Spark Plug Resister Cover Cap 120 Degree YB05F" on eBay. They state the resistance at 5 omh. Will this work?? Or have I just not searched enough to find non-resistor caps? I'd appreciate it someone that's been down this path to school me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2012 18:06 #557528 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic KZ1000 Accel coils with Dyna S - Wire Question
If you don't use resistance wires or resistance plugs, you can use the resistance caps.

You only want one source of resistance, or the spark gets weak.
No resistance, and you'll cause electrical interference, which you may or may not care about.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
08 Nov 2012 18:07 #557529 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic KZ1000 Accel coils with Dyna S - Wire Question
I'm not familiar with the dyna S. If electrical interference will mess with it, definitely have a resistance component somewhere. Others here will know if that's an issue.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

• 1slickKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Nov 2012 19:08 #557536 by 1slickKZ1000
Replied by 1slickKZ1000 on topic KZ1000 Accel coils with Dyna S - Wire Question
I submitted a support question to Accel asking if the stock wires (with the 140403 kit) when used with 5 omh NGK caps, would work or would have too much resistance. I did include that I'll use a non CDI Dyna S set up. We'll see if they respond... Must admit, I'd feel better if someone real-world had this set up. My gut says there is a ton of old KZ running this combination and I hope one sees this question!

More
08 Nov 2012 20:04 - 08 Nov 2012 22:51 #557542 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic KZ1000 Accel coils with Dyna S - Wire Question
I believe you dont want a resistance cap with a dyna s setup. I dont run a resistance cap with mine and it runs great. I use 7mm dyna wires. But i used to use acccel wires that came with the kit but they got old so i replaced them.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Last edit: 08 Nov 2012 22:51 by Powerstroke_fan.

More
08 Nov 2012 22:32 #557575 by Patton

1slickKZ1000 wrote: ... want to get 4 NGK 120 deg (or 45 deg) caps....

Click here > www.z1enterprises.com/ListItems.aspx?key...s=ngk+spark+plug+cap

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
08 Nov 2012 23:18 #557582 by wireman

Patton wrote:

1slickKZ1000 wrote: ... want to get 4 NGK 120 deg (or 45 deg) caps....

Click here > www.z1enterprises.com/ListItems.aspx?key...s=ngk+spark+plug+cap

Good Fortune! :)

Attachment Brown-Noser3.jpg not found

This shall cost me dearly! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

• 78z1Joe
  • User
  • My man cave is my garage....
More
08 Nov 2012 23:53 #557590 by 78z1Joe
Hi I've running the same combination of Accel yellow coils and 9 mm wires with the Dyna S for 25 years. The 90 degree end of the wire is at the coil and the straight, or almost straight, go to the plugs. These ends are removable so if you really need to replace them, you can. Some may not like the color of the wires but I do.

1978 KZ 1000
1982 GS 300 training bike
Previous Rides...
75 RD 350
72 CB 500 Four
72 SL 125
71 CT 70
69 3 1/2 HP mini bike
Attachments:

More
08 Nov 2012 23:59 #557591 by MFolks
Ignition Coils And Sparkplug Wire Choices

What came with the bike, were ignition coils that even when new were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in the stop and go traffic, and the coils will probably fail when hot.

Replacement coils can be bought at www.z1enterprises.com I believe “Emgo” is the brand. They also carry the popular Dyna 2.2 and 3 ohm coils, along with replacement sparkplug wires.

Now, you have a choice on sparkplug wires:

1.Copper plug wires with no supression caps (the best choice, but will produce audio noise on Radio’s and TV’s). Not only do the copper core wires deliver better spark, they will also deliver a much longer lifespan - carbon core wires are prone to erratic spark delivery and early breakdown, & short lifespan.

2.Copper plug wires with supression caps (a built in 5000 ohm resistor, that can sometimes fail, like what came with the bike).

3.Copper plug wires with no supression caps, but using resistor plugs(the “R” in the plug number).

4.Supression plug wires with no supression caps.

NEVER use resistor plugs combined with supression caps, along with supression plug wires, as now there will be two (2) sources of resistance in the secondary windings of the ignition coils, greatly reducing the spark energy.

Another choice is the Accel 3 ohm coils, with a similar, primary(small wire)electrical connection, using ring terminals as the Dyna ignition coils do. Whatever brand of coil you go with, make sure the primary wires will clear the mounting hardware, as the spacers come awfully close, possibly blowing a fuse. Some riders have replaced the metal spacers with non conductive Nylon spacers, reducing the chance of an electrical problem.

7mm sparkplug wires will fit the stock ignition coils(if they have replaceable wires, indicated by screw off caps on the coils with ridges). The sparkplug wires fit into a port with a brass ”Stinger” that goes into the sparkplug wire or lead(the Brit’s. Canadians, and other countries call the sparkplug wires (“High Tension Leads”).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• 1slickKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Nov 2012 00:25 #557593 by 1slickKZ1000
Your '78 looks great and I too like the yellow wires but I'm on a mission to get the angled caps... I think my question now simply needs to figure out if the caps (or 9mm wires) that came with that kit are resistor or not. If the caps are, I'd have a shot at using the NGK 120 deg resistor caps... All the caps on the Z1 site and the ones I found on eBay, are all resistor type. Z1 does have a better price than eBay too. Thanks for the input folks, I appreciate all I can get.

• 1slickKZ1000
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Nov 2012 14:51 #558061 by 1slickKZ1000
I contacted Z1 with my question... Here's the reply:

Hi Don,

I would not recommend using a resistor cap and resistor wire for multiple reasons. The NGK boots are not going to fit the 8.8 MM wire and the screw style tap in the NGK cap will likely damage the suppression core of the wire. You would typically use a resistor in only one of these places.

Dynatek recommends no secondary resistance when using the Dyna S. They recommend a 3.0 Ohm coil and solid core wire. The Accel coils appear to be the correct resistance and should work well. 500 Ohms per foot is not a lot, so I don’t see a problem using the Accel wires, but I would strongly recommend installing them with the plug caps already on the wire.

If you must use the NGK caps I would use a solid core wire.

www.z1enterprises.com/ListItems.aspx?keywords=stranded+copper

these are 7MM like stock, and the NGK screw tap will work fine with the solid care.

Keep in mind, 1.5 feet of the Accel wire is 750 Ohms, the NGK caps are 5000.

Hope this helps

Feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike Ames

Z1 Enterprises, Inc.

3720 Union Street

Marion NY 14505-9652

Phone: (315) 926-5054 x124
Fax: (315) 926-5841

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
12 Nov 2012 19:10 #558096 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic KZ1000 Accel coils with Dyna S - Wire Question
i have the same set up as you. you do not add any resistance in line due to the dyna and accel coils. i have used the supplied eight point eight wires with no resister and im now using accel super stock spiral cores i made myself.

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..