Head Gasket advice

More
06 Nov 2012 15:01 #557267 by dsp
Head Gasket advice was created by dsp
Since I put my bike up for the winter I have been steadily fixing some of the issues it has. Next on the list is to replace the head gasket which is seeping all the way around. I would prefer to do this only once, and would like to know what is the best quality gasket to use? Also, do I need to take the head and have it surfaced? I am used to doing that with my car's heads, I just wasn't sure if you are supposed to do it with motorcycles as well.

Thank you,
Dan

82 GPZ 550
4-1 exhaust
Pods
Bike came with Dyna S ignition

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2012 16:31 - 06 Nov 2012 16:33 #557282 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Head Gasket advice
OEM is best, a little more pricey than aftermarket.

Head probably won't need resurfacing but clean it well and polish with a scotchbrite pad.

Use straight edge to check for warp.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 06 Nov 2012 16:33 by bountyhunter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
06 Nov 2012 18:00 #557286 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic Head Gasket advice
if its for a gpz 550 as per your signature (you should state the model of your bike in your question buddy ;) ) then go for the much better stock MLS gasket of the Zephyr 550, another world in terms of sealing

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
06 Nov 2012 18:06 - 06 Nov 2012 20:31 #557287 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Head Gasket advice
If you break the torque of the head and the base come loose from trying to get head loose/off...you should also replace the base gasket....If the base stays put....should be ok :pinch:
Last edit: 06 Nov 2012 20:31 by 4TheKZ1000.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
06 Nov 2012 18:20 #557290 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Head Gasket advice
Cometic gaskets are what I use

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
06 Nov 2012 20:10 #557303 by dsp
Replied by dsp on topic Head Gasket advice

turboguzzi wrote: if its for a gpz 550 as per your signature (you should state the model of your bike in your question buddy ;) ) then go for the much better stock MLS gasket of the Zephyr 550, another world in terms of sealing

Yes it is for the 82 GPZ 550, sorry I forgot to include that. That's surprising about the zephyr head gasket, even though they are both 550's I figured the zephyr was bound to be at least a little different and have some holes in slightly different positions. I would rather not have to replace the base gasket right now if I can get away with it. I just want to get the bike roadworthy for next spring and summer. The plan is to have a 615 kit to go in it in the fall.

82 GPZ 550
4-1 exhaust
Pods
Bike came with Dyna S ignition

More
07 Nov 2012 00:02 #557330 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Head Gasket advice
Is there a good (simple) way to prevent the cylinder base seal from breaking when removing the head? What method is used to drain out the engine oil from the cylinder stud passages, before loosening the nuts?

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
07 Nov 2012 01:58 #557343 by zpmpitcrew
Replied by zpmpitcrew on topic Head Gasket advice
we dont use anything but cometic gaskets on the drag bikes. they hold up much better than petty much every gasket out there. when u do it, use some type of quality gasket sealer. rubberized works best. id tell u what kind we use but the can is so old all the labels have worn off. just make sure the head is nice and flat. and as for draining the oil, drop the plug and let gravity do the work

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
07 Nov 2012 11:16 #557376 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Head Gasket advice
Watch out that the O-Rings at the Base gasket for the upper end oiling don't give you a leak when just doing the head gasket. These are oval shaped, and go around the locating pin/ oil restrictor.
Try to wedge between the head and barrel assy, and get the head loose before pulling up. Careful not to break a fin, but not at the sealing surface at all, as it can be damaged. A wood or plastic wedge is good, it shouldn't mark up anything.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
08 Nov 2012 10:17 #557497 by turboguzzi
with you on this, wouldnt disturb the bottom gasket if you can. challenge is going to be to separate the head from the block without shifting the later. i use a leverage to create force between the inlet ports and the bottom block flange.

To my best knowledge cometic only makes a composite gasket for the 61mm wiseco kit for the 550. I used its 750/810 cousin and it was pretty bad quality, got destroyed first time i had to take the head off.

the OEM MLS can be re-used without trouble, and its the accepted std nowadays. people who build HiPo 750 Turbo's use the stock MLS.....

More
08 Nov 2012 23:12 #557579 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Head Gasket advice
I bet it'd be a lot easyer to do the
base gasket and o-rings now then
to fix the oil leak that showed up later.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
09 Nov 2012 09:44 #557633 by turboguzzi
there are also downsides to disturbing the bottom gasket.... it's never a risk free thing to pull out the block and re-inserting the pistons (our friend might not want to deal with that to begin with), grit around the studs falling into cases even when you jet wash before disassembly (highly recommend always...) and others

so its almost a personal choice

And no, doing just the top gasket and not the bottom doesn't mean you'll always get leaks there later if you do the job right (and the base gasket wasn't leaking before), at least not in my experience.

just my point of view of course,