1981 KZ305 engine seized, compatble engines?

More
05 Nov 2012 21:10 #557164 by K8KZ305r
Hi I have a 1981 Kz305 which locked up 3 months ago. Before that it had a short someplace in the wiring, which caused battery problems and eventually lead me to buy a new regulator. The person i bought it from had a killswitch installed to cut the battery when its not in use.The bike has wiring issues on top of the now frozen engine.It has been difficult to track down a complete 305 engine, but i have seen a few other complete KZ 550 engines, and KZ400 engines. Possible to drop one of these larger engines into the bike? Anybody out there have any ideas?

Kate

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
05 Nov 2012 23:16 #557172 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 1981 KZ305 engine seized, compatble engines?
Sorry to hear about the bike.
Is the bike its self in good condition? Or does it need a lot of cosmetics and mechanical? Like the paint, seat, tires, brakes, carbs, chain/ sprockets, etc. A good time to take inventory and add up what it might cost to get the 305 back on the road. It might be better to pick up a decant 550, or something. Then either sell the 305 or part it out, unless attached to it. It could be repaired I'm sure, but it would cost a lot more than a used engine most likely.
I don't know if the bigger motor will bolt in, but I would think it could be made to fit. Might take some fabrication of motor mounts, not sure. Maybe someone will chime in and has the info for you.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.