compression

More
26 Oct 2012 04:05 #555827 by haggis
compression was created by haggis
Hi All
I have got a Z2 kawasaki which is supposed to have a 1103 kit,under bucket shims and assorted other bits. B) When i bought it it was not running as the coils had burnt out.I replaced everything with Dyna coils and ignition and it starts and runs.No 1 cylinder(exhaust)does not get as hot as the other 3 cylinders,as if there is no spark,but there is spark and petrol.If you hold your hand over the carbs when running it sucks on the other cylinders,but on 1 there is just about nothing.Today i checked the compression and no 1 had about 95psi and the others about 125psi,after adding some oil to the cylinder it came up a bit.The bike was built in 2004 and has only done about 2000km on the engine.Whats the chances it needs new rings.Or does anyone have any ideas
Ian
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2012 04:11 #555828 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic compression
very nice bike.... just get rid of the perforated steel heel guard and it will be perfect ;)
would check the shims before everything else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: haggis

More
26 Oct 2012 04:26 #555830 by haggis
Replied by haggis on topic compression
Hi
I took the cam cover off and had a quick look, definitely under bucket shims and all appear good and loose but have not tried with feeler gauge yet
Ian

More
26 Oct 2012 05:31 - 26 Oct 2012 05:37 #555836 by turboguzzi
good then,

would not even consider rings at this moment, even a piston with very bad and worn rings will still fire.

have you checked carb synch? if n.1 slide is low it'll give low comp reading too

stupid stuff like a jumping spark? have a go in the dark and see if you spot any

TG

PS where are you in scotland? (guess from the nick) i make it to inverness every now and then..
Last edit: 26 Oct 2012 05:37 by turboguzzi.

More
26 Oct 2012 08:56 #555840 by sflaz1
Replied by sflaz1 on topic compression
Run a leakdown test.

Bought my 1973 Z1 in late 1978. Turbo charged 1982.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
26 Oct 2012 10:14 #555845 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic compression
125 is pretty low as well, and 95 could be low enough to not fire. I mostly agree with guzzi though. Since it runs, I'd do a carb sync to see if that evens them all out, and make sure you're WOT when you test if you weren't that time.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
26 Oct 2012 20:35 #555935 by turboguzzi

Del_Herring wrote: 125 is pretty low as well, and 95 could be low enough to not fire. I mostly agree with guzzi though. Since it runs, I'd do a carb sync to see if that evens them all out, and make sure you're WOT when you test if you weren't that time.

agree that 125 is not that high but reason could be just the hot cams and the low piston could come up with some use if the engine stood for a long time.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
26 Oct 2012 21:01 #555938 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic compression

sflaz1 wrote: Run a leakdown test.

If they ran those 1105 pistons in stock kz1000 sleeves and beat the hell out of it like Im betting they did,my guess would be worn/out of round bores B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
26 Oct 2012 21:20 #555941 by haggis
Replied by haggis on topic compression
Thanks for the replies.
Turboguzzi I am in Australia,was born in Scotland hence the nickname. Wireman not sure what sleeves were used as the bike started life as a 750.the bike has stood for years as it has only done about 2000km in 8 years.I think the next step will be a leakdown test as you guys have suggested.
many thanks
ian

More
26 Oct 2012 23:21 #555953 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic compression
Would suspect too tight valve clearance on one or both valves in #1 cylinder.

Could allow acceptable compression test results, but cause loss of compression as engine warms.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD