Shaft drive questions.... again, i know

More
23 Oct 2012 20:15 #555439 by Del_Herring
Shaft drive questions.... again, i know was created by Del_Herring
So I'll start with this one. What manual are you guys using for your shafties? I've been using this one: the one I have. and I've been terribly dissapointed.

After checking ebay every so often, I found this one. But I want to make sure it's not the same thing before I fork out another $40 on a manual. The one I have is worse than any clymer/haynes manuals I've seen. When you look at how to remove something, the instructions just say to remove it, which isn't helpful at all. Or, if you guys have another manual you'd reccomend I'd love to hear it.

Mine also misses some specs I want, like how much oil to put in the rrear shocks, since they're serviceable. It warns not to flip them and let oil move from one to the other, but doesn't cover what to do to fix it if you do flip them.

That's the main question, and if I can find a good manual, I'm sure I can get the second question figured out myself, but in the mean time...

How in the sam hill do I get the shaft disconnected from the gearbox on this thing. I've been trying to figure this out for months (granted I've skipped most of the weeks), but my manual just shows a little pin I should be able to depress to disconnect them, and I have been unable to find it. Am I supposed to pull the swingarm first? I was really hoping not to have to, as I can't seem to find an appropriate tool for removing them, it's a giant nut with no clearance on either side.

I need to pull the heads, and since the bike sits outside, I want to bring the whole engine in so it doesn't get rained in. So I've been stuck for ages trying to get this engine off, just so I can redo a couple gaskets, and get the exhaust studs repaired.

Thanks for the help fellas.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2015 09:31 #689603 by kawichris
Replied by kawichris on topic Shaft drive questions.... again, i know
I have found myself in the same situation with the gearbox removal. Did you have any luck removing it? I have a 1982 spectre 750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.