spark plug hole stripped

More
19 Jun 2006 08:07 #55472 by mjwriz
spark plug hole stripped was created by mjwriz
i took my spark plugs out of my 77 kz650 the other day to clean, and i started to take #4 out. it was in there real tight, and it was hard for me to get out. when i finally got it out i noticed some cracking around the hole and a piece of the engine came out with the plug and the hole is stripped. i had in the shop for maintanence not long ago and when they put the plugs back in they must have torqued that one in so hard that it stripped the hole and cause the cracking. i know that they know they did because plug 3 was barely in the hole.

so, i have couple questions. is there any way to fix this? what should i say to the shop when i go to chew them out? is it safe to ride it like this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2006 09:01 #55482 by letthegoodtimesroll
Replied by letthegoodtimesroll on topic spark plug hole stripped
I had the same problem. The previous owner had cross threaded the #4 and I ended up blowing the plug out of the head on the way to work. There are a number of products you can use to install an insert, but it will require taking the head off. Good luck!

1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

More
19 Jun 2006 09:35 #55486 by mjwriz
Replied by mjwriz on topic spark plug hole stripped
what are some of the things that can be used to fix it? and where can i get them from?

More
19 Jun 2006 11:03 #55493 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic spark plug hole stripped
any auto parts store should have a heil-coil thread repair insert kit.i did the same to my 77650 about a month ago.you will need a 5/8 drill bit and a steady hand.you really should remove the head to do it but it is not 100% nessessary.you will drop shavings in the motor if you don't. i did not remove my head and used a strong shop vac to get them all out. but one warning! make sure both valves are closed or you will nick one of them with the drill bit.i found that out the hard way.dumb mistake!but think of it this way, if you have to pull the head, now you can always install the 700 or 810 kit and cams i know you want to.perfect excause, my wife bought it that it won't run right now and it will die a slow painful death unless i rebuild the upper half now.so now i ordered a kit and a new ring for her. we all have to compromise sometimes.good luck and let us know how it turnes out for you. sorry,it's not a heli coil. it's called save a thread.

Post edited by: kawsakiman, at: 2006/06/21 18:27

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
19 Jun 2006 11:18 #55501 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic spark plug hole stripped
SNAP ON makes a tool that uses compressed air to blow out the shavings while you retap the hole for a heli coil insert.it is expensive tool for 1 use.
I have done it caveman style and used a lot of clean grease on and in the helicoil tap. you remove , clean and regrease the tap like every quarter or half turn to get the metal out. patience and persistance. Be sure get the piston near top center going on the exaust event before cutting metal. turn crank to where the exaust valve is wide open use some gasoline and compressed air into the compression chamber to get shavings out the ex pipe. dry the new threads. use red loctite when installing the insert. let loctite fully cure before starting the engine. then hope for the best when you start it up. I have had success doing it this way. not fun or cool.

More
19 Jun 2006 11:25 #55503 by letthegoodtimesroll
Replied by letthegoodtimesroll on topic spark plug hole stripped
Here is a site that shows a tool that does not require a drill. I used a similar tool and it will use the existing threads and cuts new ones for the insert.

www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html

1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

More
19 Jun 2006 11:26 #55504 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic spark plug hole stripped
Most companies that make thread repair inserts sell 14mm inserts to repair spark plug holes. The BEST is a Timesert because it has a mechanical lock. Helicoil is a wire coil that can and will come out when you remove a spark plug. Somewhere in the middle is a solid insert like the ones that NAPA sells. It is retained by anaerobic adhesive like red loctite. www.z1enterprises.com can get you a Timesert plug repair kit as you will also need the tap and install tool. The NAPA brand inserts come in 1/2" and 3/4" if memory serves and you need to cut the 3/4" insert to make it the correct length. You can cut it with a hack saw or small cut off wheel easily. The main issue you will run into is that all of them require threads be cut in the existing hole so their insert can be screwed into place. You will get bunches of shavings that will drop down a plug hole when you are cutting the threads for the insert so I highly recommend you remove the cylinder head (buy a new gasket) and do the job with the head off the bike. Some folks have claimed luck by vacuuming out the combustion chamber or coating the tap with grease to catch shavings. I am not hopeful about either way of ridding the combustion chamber of metal bits. The bits will not be magnetic no a magnetic is out. The tap to cut the threads for a NAPA insert takes a couple of hours to get started and get the thread cut... it is not an easy job. You might want to take the head to a machine shop along with the proper insert and let them help you. You can also try a plug thread chase. They have them in 14mm with the correct thread and these things are supposed to recut and clean the old thread. I have found them to be fairly useless...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
21 Jun 2006 13:42 #56063 by mjwriz
i just wanted to show you guys what the spark plug hole looks like. i don't think helicoiling will fix it. to me it looks like the only way to fix it is to replace the entire head. am i right? or does anybody else have any ideas? by the way the shop that did this said they would repair it free of charge.

Post edited by: mjwriz, at: 2006/06/21 16:51
Attachments:

More
21 Jun 2006 13:43 #56064 by mjwriz

Post edited by: mjwriz, at: 2006/06/21 16:46
Attachments:

More
21 Jun 2006 13:53 #56068 by mjwriz

That is a piece of the engine missing.

Post edited by: mjwriz, at: 2006/06/21 16:54
Attachments:

More
21 Jun 2006 14:38 #56079 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic spark plug hole stripped
tough call... but if they pay get it welded up and surfaced. teflon tape? JB weld? no I'm foolin sorry to see these things

dont let hercules tighten your plugs any more.

More
21 Jun 2006 15:29 #56088 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic spark plug hole stripped
that's a tough one . there is/was a 650 head on e-bay for $19.99.don't know if it's still there.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.