KZ650 timing chain tensioner

More
17 Oct 2012 22:29 #554419 by baldy110
KZ650 timing chain tensioner was created by baldy110
Here is my version of a manuel timing chain tensioner that I made using the stock one. I made this one in 1979 when I realized the stock one was not tightening the timing chain enough. I have used this tensioner for over 30 years with no issues.

1. Take the tensioner off the bike and dissasemble.
2. Drill a 1/4" hole on the very back.
3. Install a 6mm x 1mm helicoil in the hole
4. Find a long enough 6mm x 1mm bolt with nut and install into the heli coiled hole.
5. Re-assemble the tensioner and install on bike.
6. After you adjusted the tensioner per the manual screw in the bolt on the back of the tensioner until it starts to get tight, (do this by hand no tools.)
7. Turn the engine over using the 12mm bolt under the ignition as you hand tighten the bolt behind the tensioner.
8. Keep doing this until all the slack is out of the chain. You will know because you will not be able to turn the bolt any more by hand, again, NO TOOLS.
9. Tighten the stock lock bolt and nut on the tensioner then tighten the lock nut on the bolt you just put on the tensioner and your done.

Total cost is about $15.00 for a machine shop to install the helicoil or if you already have a kit then about .50 cents.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Motor Head

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
17 Oct 2012 22:31 #554420 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ650 timing chain tensioner
Good post there Baldy110.
Pretty easy to mod one to a manual if desired. ;)

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.