Too Tight Cam Chain

More
13 Oct 2012 22:14 #553693 by BB
Too Tight Cam Chain was created by BB
Hi Guys,

I am finally making some progress on the rebuild. I got to the point of putting the cams back in today, when putting the inlet cam in (after the exhaust)the cam chain is super tight. I had to push hard to get the cam in and depress a valve, thought this would give me slack. Nope, I got it in, but when I say tight, I mean it - no slack what so ever. I checked the length of the new vs. old chain before installation, it is about a half link shortrd (I though due to 42000 miles of use), certainly not enough to make it this tight.

Going with a manual tensioner, which isn't installed, so not that. Any ideas? Photos below.

Cheers Guys,

Brendan.

Attachment IMG_07221.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_07231.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_07241.JPG not found

1980 KZ1000P - The Mistress
2002 R1150GS - Matilda
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
13 Oct 2012 22:35 - 13 Oct 2012 22:47 #553699 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Too Tight Cam Chain
if its a MKII engine.....124 link chain???? double check the chain link number......is the chain aroung the crank correctly??? if not it will not fit correctly....can be really tricky to get chain to fit around smallish sprocket. If not a MKII engine....you should be using 30 tooth cam sprockets...are you using incorrect 32 tooth sprockets. Really dont know what you did so am throwing everything at ya.
Last edit: 13 Oct 2012 22:47 by 4TheKZ1000.

More
14 Oct 2012 09:53 #553750 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Too Tight Cam Chain
Like 4thekz1000 said i would check all that. Make sure you got the chain on the crank sprocket correctly. By telling us what you have done to the motor also might help us.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
14 Oct 2012 10:12 #553756 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Too Tight Cam Chain

BB wrote: Hi Guys,

I am finally making some progress on the rebuild. I got to the point of putting the cams back in today, when putting the inlet cam in (after the exhaust)the cam chain is super tight. I had to push hard to get the cam in and depress a valve, thought this would give me slack. Nope, I got it in, but when I say tight, I mean it - no slack what so ever. I checked the length of the new vs. old chain before installation, it is about a half link shortrd (I though due to 42000 miles of use), certainly not enough to make it this tight.

Going with a manual tensioner, which isn't installed, so not that. Any ideas? Photos below.

Cheers Guys,

Brendan.

Attachment IMG_07221.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_07241.JPG not found

If those pics are with 1 & 4 at TDC, it's pretty easy to see your intake cam is late.

Larry C.

More
14 Oct 2012 10:15 #553758 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic Too Tight Cam Chain
The obvious question is, do you have the cam chain tentioner loose?

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

More
14 Oct 2012 10:16 - 14 Oct 2012 10:36 #553759 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Too Tight Cam Chain

Take the tensioner right out of the block when you install the cams.

1] The chain might not be on the crank sprocket correctly.
2] You are probably 1 pin off on the Intake cam's timing.

Don't include the pin that aligns with the exhaust index mark in your pin count. Start with the one above it as the first pin in the 28 pin count.

Larry C.
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Oct 2012 10:36 by LarryC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
14 Oct 2012 12:55 #553779 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Too Tight Cam Chain
He stated that the tensioner is not installed so can't be that.
If it's not a miss match of crank/cam sprockets or wrong camchain in a mk2 then it can only be the camchain sitting to the side of the the teeth on the crank or bunched in the main bearing cap.
Rotate the engine slowly whilst pulling on the chain to release the bunched links.
This seems more probable as even with the chain not sitting on the crank teeth there is usually plenty of slack to get the cams in easily and that problem is usually only discovered when rotating the engine to double check the timing.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
14 Oct 2012 13:03 #553781 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Too Tight Cam Chain

zed1015 wrote: He stated that the tensioner is not installed so can't be that.
If it's not a miss match of crank/cam sprockets or wrong camchain in a mk2 then it can only be the camchain sitting to the side of the the teeth on the crank or bunched in the main bearing cap.
Rotate the engine slowly whilst pulling on the chain to release the bunched links.
This seems more probable as even with the chain not sitting on the crank teeth there is usually plenty of slack to get the cams in easily and that problem is usually only discovered when rotating the engine to double check the timing.

I was thinking the same about slack....that sucker is so tight....really strange.... ya.....????

More
14 Oct 2012 14:06 - 14 Oct 2012 14:08 #553791 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Too Tight Cam Chain
If everything else is correct for that engine then i'd bet my back teeth that the camshain is hooked up on the crank and there's a couple of bunched links possibly trapped against the main bearing cap.
Just needs half a turn of the crank whilst pulling up on the chain to release it.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 14 Oct 2012 14:08 by zed1015.

More
14 Oct 2012 14:17 #553792 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Too Tight Cam Chain
That is a Mk II engine and those cam sprockets certainly look like they are 32t. If that's the case, you require a 124 link chain.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
14 Oct 2012 14:47 #553797 by BB
Replied by BB on topic Too Tight Cam Chain
Alright Boys, thanks for the help, I have rotated the engine a little to line up TDC. But this does make sense. All cams and crank sprockets are original, just replaced the chain and the guide sprockets.

I will let you know.

Cheers and thanks,

1980 KZ1000P - The Mistress
2002 R1150GS - Matilda

More
14 Oct 2012 19:12 #553839 by APE Jay
Replied by APE Jay on topic Too Tight Cam Chain
Do you have the package the chain came in?