KZ1100 LTD Rebuild?

More
07 Oct 2012 22:55 #552999 by nivlac
KZ1100 LTD Rebuild? was created by nivlac
I've got a 83 kz1100 shaft drive. I have a couple of thousand in it give or take. On the low side if conversing with the wife, closer to $2200 in reality. I've really enjoyed it over the past month. I am seeing oil loss of about 1&1/2 quarts over about 2000 miles. Wondering about total cost on a rebuild over the course of the winter. Top end opposed to top and bottom. Any feed back would be appreciated.
If I rebuild it will probably be my keeper. I haven't ridden for about 30 years and I feel like I might be going over the edge.
I'm between selling and the overhaul. It's not smoking and I'm not seeing a lot of loss below the bike and just a little on top of the case below the carburators.

1983 kz1100
1979 cb650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2012 23:27 #553005 by Kraz1
Replied by Kraz1 on topic KZ1100 LTD Rebuild?
You already own the bike. No sense in selling it to search for another. Remove the Top End over the winter, check the Valve Guides, if good, have a Valve Job performed. Measure the Cylinder Bores, hone them if within specification, and re-ring the Top End. You'll have access to the Connecting Rods and will run an 18mm Machinist Rod through the wrist pin bores to check the Crankshaft.

When Larry C (Member here) is working, quite a few people send their Cylinder Heads to him for service with confidence. There are other shops available as well.

You're looking at a Service Manual, Gaskets, Valve Job, Rings, and Circlips, at a minimum.. And shorter conversations with the wife about the bike. :lol:

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
08 Oct 2012 10:31 #553057 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ1100 LTD Rebuild?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHere is a stating point for you to look up some parts and prices.
www.z1enterprises.com/ListItems.aspx?nam...01010104020304000000

What ever gasket set you end up with you should upgrade the Stem seals

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
24 Feb 2013 01:16 #573810 by nivlac
Replied by nivlac on topic KZ1100 LTD Rebuild?
Hey, following up on a previous post. Just thinking about rebuilding the top end of my KZ1100. I'm thinking about swapping out my current engine with a unit from another bike until I complete the rebuild.
A few questions as I'm counting the cost on the rebuild project. Are the lifters as a rule replaced? The bike has 30k on it so I'm thinking a valve job. I'm in the upstate of South Carolina and relatively new to the area and I'm not seeing a local shop that I'm sure of for the valve/ machine work. Wondering where I could send the head for a dependable valve job and still not have to sell the farm.
If the cylinders are with tolerance and not damaged will a ridge reamer and glaze buster be way to go as far as prepping for new rings.
I'm not a mechanic but it seems like back in the day when dealing with a valve job it almost dictated the replacement of rings, and usually if the engine had that many miles on it and top end was reworked the main and rod bearings where in jeopardy. This was early automotive v8 stuff and I was a broke kid, now I'm a broke old man.

1983 kz1100
1979 cb650