Hardt to shift gear when engine is warm

More
01 Oct 2012 11:03 #551818 by marcus91
Hardt to shift gear when engine is warm was created by marcus91
Alright.. So Im experiancing a weird problem with my Kawa Z 650 SR.

When the bike is cold gear-shifting goes really smooth. When the bike gets warm though, its a pain to gear up from first to second. The bike does not go past neutral. It seems to be blocked. When I gear up and down like this 3-4 times it usually hits the right gear (second). All of the other gears seems fine. No problem at all when Im gearing down from second to first.

Any suggestions of what the cause of the problem might be...?

1981 Kawasaki Z650SR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2012 11:08 #551819 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Hardt to shift gear when engine is warm
When are you trying to shift, these bikes have a "neutral finder" feature which blocks out second until you're going a few miles an hour. If you're trying to shift early, it could still be activated. I think it's just a spring and ball detente kind of system, so it might be hanging up when cold or warm, and either not locking when cold, or not unlocking once warm for some reason. Maybe someone else has more ideas.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
01 Oct 2012 11:15 #551820 by marcus91
Replied by marcus91 on topic Hardt to shift gear when engine is warm
Ok. Thanks for the reply!! :)

And this system is probably inside the gearbox I assume..? Not something I can fix with the engine on the bike?

1981 Kawasaki Z650SR

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
01 Oct 2012 11:26 #551822 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Hardt to shift gear when engine is warm
Have you changed the oil lately?
Have you tried adjusting the clutch? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
01 Oct 2012 11:47 #551827 by marcus91
Replied by marcus91 on topic Hardt to shift gear when engine is warm
Nope.. No oil change recently. Just bought this bike with this problem. The previous owner has been on the road with this problem for 17 years (!!!!), just ignoring it. He said that it haven't gotten any worse or better. Oil was changed last year, but the bike has not gone more than 150 miles since last oil change.

1981 Kawasaki Z650SR

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
01 Oct 2012 12:01 #551829 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Hardt to shift gear when engine is warm
Try adjusting the clutch,oil should be changed atleast once every season regardless of mileage moisture and other junk builds up in the oil from sitting B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
01 Oct 2012 23:32 #551909 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Hardt to shift gear when engine is warm

Del_Herring wrote: When are you trying to shift, these bikes have a "neutral finder" feature which blocks out second until you're going a few miles an hour. If you're trying to shift early, it could still be activated. I think it's just a spring and ball detente kind of system, so it might be hanging up when cold or warm, and either not locking when cold, or not unlocking once warm for some reason. Maybe someone else has more ideas.

FYI the 650's do not have the "nuetral finder"