Starting but not idling

• candyskateboards
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Sep 2012 16:32 #551210 by candyskateboards
Starting but not idling was created by candyskateboards
Hello all, I need some help and input here. I've got a 78 650B2A and just put the carbs back on them a few days ago. I got the bike to start and run for about 3 seconds and have yet to get it idling. In those several times I was able to get it started it was enough to warm the pipes up. 2&3 were warm while 1&4 were cold. The bike has been sitting for two years and was started maybe 1 year ago. I tore the carbs completely down and have yet to take a manometer to them. I got it started using the kick and electric start. Now when I try to use the electric start there is a "buzzt" sound at the positive battery terminal and the bike shorts out. Between yesterday and today the headlight stopped working, not sure if I crossed something or kicked something loose too. The battery is basically dead and I keep it on the charger over night and in between tinkering. The times I've had it started was using starter fluid and choke.

-bike will start but won't idle
-weak battery
-2&3 exhaust pipes were warm but not 1&4, after starting
-battery shorts out now when using electric start
-headlight no longer on

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Sep 2012 17:24 #551222 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Starting but not idling
One set of points and their respective coil fires cylinders 2 & 3. The other set of points and coil fires cylinders 1 & 4. So it sounds like you may have an ignition problem. You can swap coils and see if the problem moves from 2&3 to 1&4. If it does you have a bad coil. If not, you should check the ignition points and wiring from the points to the coil very carefully to see if anything is amiss. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Sep 2012 17:36 #551225 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Starting but not idling
Your carbs are probably dirty and clogged up. Does it only run on full choke? If they have been sitting for 2 years with gas in them then they are very clogged.

More
27 Sep 2012 17:50 #551228 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Starting but not idling
Fresh spark plugs of the prescribed variety too;)

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
27 Sep 2012 18:59 #551237 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Starting but not idling
It sounds like you are either grounding out somewhere, or you don't have a good ground connection. I'd check out where the ground terminates on the frame, and I'd make sure you don't have any bare wires.
As for the starting, I agree with baldy, it sounds like they are clogged. You said you put them back on a couple of days ago... Does that mean that you rebuilt them? If not, I'd take them off and let them soak in some pine-sol for a few days. Then clean them out real good and give it another go.

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

• boyd825
  • User
  • Ride it like you stole it!
More
27 Sep 2012 19:15 #551238 by boyd825
Replied by boyd825 on topic Starting but not idling
Your gonna have to start with a fresh battery, and probably clean the carbs...again. I know you don't want to hear that but I've seen it a million times where someone has just cleaned the carbs, but I've had to go back and do it again, properly.

1977 KZ1000 A1

• candyskateboards
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Sep 2012 20:42 #551245 by candyskateboards
Replied by candyskateboards on topic Starting but not idling
Waiting till tomorrow so I can get a new battery. The carbs were torn down and cleaned and soaked and boiled, so I doubt they are the culprit. I am sort of hoping they are the problem so I don't have to replace the coils. If all else fails I think I may have to take a lot of beer to a shop and trade some work.

• candyskateboards
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Sep 2012 14:45 #551549 by candyskateboards
Got a new battery but still the same problem. I looked at the coils and was going to swap 1&4 cables on to 2&3's coil but this is the second time I've ever look at coils. My other bike you thread the spark plug cable on and the oem kz's are not like that.

How do you suggest swapping coils? Can I just put the spark plug cables from 2&3 on to 1&4?

More
29 Sep 2012 18:25 #551572 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Starting but not idling

candyskateboards wrote: Got a new battery but still the same problem. I looked at the coils and was going to swap 1&4 cables on to 2&3's coil but this is the second time I've ever look at coils. My other bike you thread the spark plug cable on and the oem kz's are not like that.

How do you suggest swapping coils? Can I just put the spark plug cables from 2&3 on to 1&4?

To swap coils you need to move the spark plug cables from 2&3 on to 1&4 and vice-versa, AND you need to swap the wires that connect the coils to the points. You do this at the coils. When your finished, the coil that was originally connected to points pair 1&4 is now connected to 2&3 and vise-versa. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• candyskateboards
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 May 2013 20:15 - 09 May 2013 20:18 #586631 by candyskateboards
plugs, new battery and she's firing in all four now! still starting but revving to about 8000 rpm then dying (this is with starting fluid). may take another look at the carbs. glad it wasnt the coils!

edit:spark on 4 is weak and purple and 1 is a strong and white.
Last edit: 09 May 2013 20:18 by candyskateboards.