Curious ticking..

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
28 Sep 2012 15:18 #551399 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Curious ticking..
Only tick I have found that was really hard to find was in lower end bearings.
Story goes, Many years ago a KZ rider contacted me to try and find a mystery tick.
Ended up being a bearing tick only heard at very low speed. Found the bearing behind the clutch had a very minor flat spot which you could hear tick, Once taken apart you could feel it while rotating it . Replaced it and tick was gone. Have only seen this happen once in all these years and hope its not a lower end problem as this means total tear down to access it.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2012 20:12 - 28 Sep 2012 20:16 #551472 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Curious ticking..
It dont really matter about the valves being done. The common exhaust leak is beteween the pipe and the head. Thats what the crush washers are for. What brand exhaust are you running? Some exhaust require thicker crush gaskets to seal better. Did you put new crush gaskets in upon assembly? Would double check exhuast stud torque.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now
Last edit: 28 Sep 2012 20:16 by Powerstroke_fan.

More
30 Sep 2012 11:37 #551666 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic Curious ticking..
exhaust is tight..new cracked clamps and brand new fiber filled gaskets from z1..pipe is V&H..doubt it is bent valve..as a said complete rebuild of head not more than 400 miles ago..leaning toward a valve adjustment...just didn't think one would be needed so soon..definitely coming from top left side of engine..had cases split recently to replace gearsets and all bearing felt good..

1982 kz1000ltd

More
01 Oct 2012 01:08 #551796 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Curious ticking..
Thanks Patton,

A plug inserted in the cam cover (exhaust emissions hole) had worked it's way out. When I pulled the cap off, it was just laying there.
It still has the valve tick though. I did check the clearances a couple weeks ago, but found none out of spec.
So, I've got the annoying curious tick in my engine too. It doesn't seem to affect the engine performance at all though.

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: BlackZ1R

More
09 May 2013 22:39 #586651 by brianrae33
Replied by brianrae33 on topic Curious ticking..
thanx for all the replies...had my head off again to get plained and now the tick comes from the right side...i'm at a loss!!!!

1982 kz1000ltd

More
10 May 2013 16:02 #586762 by Arikawa
Replied by Arikawa on topic Curious ticking..
Sorry my bag language.Do you have vacuum fuel valve? If you have it,take off vacuum hose from valve, set fuel valve to pri position and listen no Ticking noise any more....!!

More
14 May 2013 19:13 #587434 by built408
Replied by built408 on topic Curious ticking..
I Also have the same issue but mine comes in at around 2 to 4000 rpm from my resurch these bikes have lame cam chain componets(opinion) such as top idler gear and two lower idler gears and the tesioner..... I don't know your bike like miles etc.. But I would check and make sure they are new or in very good condition. I changed my top idler and still have the same grinding/ticking sound so now head comes off and replace the other two.

1978 KZ1000 A2A with MKII body you know you like it

More
14 May 2013 19:32 #587438 by TonOfPickles
Replied by TonOfPickles on topic Curious ticking..
@ built 408 : nailed it