Oil weep on KZ1000

More
22 Sep 2012 01:19 #550217 by Slashaguc
Oil weep on KZ1000 was created by Slashaguc
Hi Guys,

My KZ1000 has an oil weep on the right hand side of the motor somewhere around the ignition cover area. I have fitted a new gasket behind the ignition housing, even a new right hand side main bearing oil seal. The mating surfaces of the crankcases and the ignition housing were meticuously cleaned and inspected for damage or cracks but no damage found what so ever. Also, I fitted a new sump gasket, just in case the weep was coming up from there, but still the weep persists.

Unless I'm barking up the wrong tree, can someone suggest where I should concentrate my search from here on. The bike is otherwise very tasty and a joy to ride and own. Its one of those bikes that I will have for a very very long time to come.

Any and all suggestions & help greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time guys.
Paul M.

Keep'er pinned, Tina!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2012 09:27 #550245 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Oil weep on KZ1000
Are you sure the oil isnt running down the motor making it look like its coming from the cover. I would look at the valve cover and tach drive. Make sure its not leaking from there.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
22 Sep 2012 09:53 #550247 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Oil weep on KZ1000
With the engine spotlessly clean and dry dust the area with baby power then run the engine. The source of the leak should be easier to find as it dampens the powder. While not highly likely, it is possible the aluminum casting has a porous area that oil is gradually seeping through. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
22 Sep 2012 12:57 #550270 by Kraz1
Replied by Kraz1 on topic Oil weep on KZ1000
Had similar leak, and it turned out to be the O'ring behind the Oil Galley Plug.

Attachments: