Spectre blue smoke

More
20 Sep 2012 13:53 #549893 by Kevin STP
Spectre blue smoke was created by Kevin STP
83 Spectre750-some background,I have been ridin all summer and the bike runs great except for a bit of stumble at 5k in 4th and 5Th gear.Recently I had to fix a fuel leak in the carbs and noticed oil in the #3 and 4 carb boots.After reassembling there was some light blue smoke from the rt side exhaust(no crossover pipe).I removed the vacum crap a while ago.The crankcase vent is still in the airbox as original,It is unfiltered.This is a new issue and I have been keeping a close watch on the oil level and am losing some(minor head leak) but being careful not to overfill.I am baffeled.

83 Spectre 750

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
20 Sep 2012 14:10 #549895 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Spectre blue smoke
If it does it on start up or sitting idling at stoplights but not when under power going down the road its probably just valve guide seals,if it does it going down the road id guess rings.
But since you say its oiling intake ports Im gonna guess guide seals. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
20 Sep 2012 14:52 #549903 by Kevin STP
Replied by Kevin STP on topic Spectre blue smoke
No visible blue clouds when riding,just at startup and idling. I thought maybe from crankcase vent but just the 2 boots threw me.

83 Spectre 750

More
20 Sep 2012 16:47 #549919 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Spectre blue smoke

Kevin STP wrote: 83 Spectre750-some background,I have been ridin all summer and the bike runs great except for a bit of stumble at 5k in 4th and 5Th gear.Recently I had to fix a fuel leak in the carbs and noticed oil in the #3 and 4 carb boots.After reassembling there was some light blue smoke from the rt side exhaust(no crossover pipe).

///No visible blue clouds when riding,just at startup and idling

Might be valve seals.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
20 Sep 2012 19:11 #549939 by Kevin STP
Replied by Kevin STP on topic Spectre blue smoke
That would be ok,I have a minor leak where the head and jugs join which I assume is the O ring for the oil path(forget proper term).The bike sat for 4yrs so I expect some seals have dried and hardened.I will do a compression test to verify its not rings,it has 16k miles and I understand was not beat on until I started riding it.Even now it almost never sees redline.I just like to accelerate quickly.

83 Spectre 750

More
20 Sep 2012 19:48 #549946 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic Spectre blue smoke
Compression test will give you a good hint, but I think valvr seals....

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

More
20 Sep 2012 21:24 #549964 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Spectre blue smoke
Leak-down test would give better info, imo.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD