woodruff key found on drain plug

More
18 Sep 2012 16:09 #549477 by readtaintor
woodruff key found on drain plug was created by readtaintor
Friends,
I have a '76 KZ900B. While changing oil, found a woodruff key on drain plug. Dimensions: about 3mm thick,5mm high and 13mm long. Any ideas where it came from. Trans? engine? I'm concerned. Any help would be much appreciated.
Read Taintor
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
18 Sep 2012 16:35 - 18 Sep 2012 16:49 #549482 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic woodruff key found on drain plug
YIKES....my KZ 1000 dosent have any....this should be the only WOODRUFF KEY 92038-001

Attachment crk.png not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Sep 2012 16:49 by 4TheKZ1000.

More
18 Sep 2012 16:49 #549486 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic woodruff key found on drain plug
Would not run the engine until you ring out where that's from! I would go through the microfiches at kawasaki.com, or bikebandit.com to see what you find. I haven't been into my bottom end to know

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

More
18 Sep 2012 17:16 #549498 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic woodruff key found on drain plug
It would have to be from the rotor keyway on the LH end of the crank. If the rotor was removed at some point, it may have been displaced when the rotor was installed - or potentially, it was never in the keyway and came off during assembly.

Overall I wouldn't be too concerned. If you have time, I would pull the stator cover, and remove the rotor to check. Even if it's missing, the rotor will likely stay in place as that's exactly what they did on the KZ1000 - eliminated the keyway.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
18 Sep 2012 18:01 #549510 by readtaintor
Replied by readtaintor on topic woodruff key found on drain plug
Thank you all for your help! I'll pull the rotor and have a look. It's nice that there is a magnetic drain plug and that this forum exists! Best Regards, Read

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
18 Sep 2012 22:17 #549582 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic woodruff key found on drain plug
If it comes loose youll find out when you hit the starter button and it makes a funny noise in stator cover,ive sheared more than 1 off on really high compression z1s over the years. :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.