Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Exhaust header compatibility 16 Jun 2006 08:13 #54890

• floridamba
  • floridamba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm looking at a used header on the web, and it's suppossed to fit a '77 to '80 kz1000. Will this also fit an '82 LTD? Are the exhaust port layouts the same? Frame? I can fabricate a bracket to support the canister/megaphone if it clears the frame tubes.

thanks
David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Exhaust header compatibility 16 Jun 2006 11:49 #54949

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The cylinder spacing is the same. I am not sure about the pipe diameter on a 77/78 vs a J motor bike. In other words, are the exhaust gaskets the same size so the pipe ends would be the same size. I THINK they are but am not positive. I am also not sure about the general bend of the system. Would it fit around the engine/frame the same way and would an early system cover the oil filter egress on a J motor? I don't know... I do know that spacing is the same so there is a shot the system will work.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Exhaust header compatibility 16 Jun 2006 12:22 #54969

• wireman
  • Visitor
i used a stainless steel supertrapp header for a gpz1100 on a kz1000 years ago i had to make new mounting bracket and i think i had to use the split collars from 1000 they were shorter than j/gpz collars if i remember right. ;)

Exhaust header compatibility 16 Jun 2006 12:42 #54976

• floridamba
  • floridamba's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks for the information - great stuff!

Can you explain the differences between the "J" motor and the MKII motor? I sold an 80 LTD and bought this one, but I don't know much more than it has CV carbs versus slide type.

thanks,
David

Exhaust header compatibility 16 Jun 2006 12:52 #54978

• wireman
  • Visitor
j-motor and gpz use a big valve head with better ports right out of the box than the mk11 and earlier kz/z1 motors.you an put the j/gpz style head on kz/z1 style motors but you need cam chain adaptor you wil lose about 2 points on compression due to bigger combustion chambers on j-gpz head.

• Page: