More Starter Clutch Woes

• PaulyWally
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Total Bike Newbie
More
12 Sep 2012 22:35 #548334 by PaulyWally
More Starter Clutch Woes was created by PaulyWally
I got the starter clutch onto the workbench and took a gander. The rollers were jammed and wouldn't budge. So I disassembled the starter clutch assembly and inspected everything. All seemed basically OK, except the springs were a bit compressed. So I ordered 3 new springs. I wasn't sure why the rollers were jammed, so I bought a NOS starter clutch plate (thinking that might have been worn). I double-checked all the parts I had against the parts catalog and the catalog listed a part I didn't have after disassembly (the dowel). So I bought a new one of those too, but I can't see how/where it is supposed to go. Finally, I bought 3 new bolts to reassemble.

The problem is, the rollers still jam if the bolts are just hand tight. Also, I think the clutch assembly is worn to nothing. I didn't really realize that until I started looking into some other issues. Again, I'm new at this and the service manual doesn't go in-depth at all in regards to the starter clutch. :silly:

Anyway, here's a video of what I've got. It's about 3 minutes. If you have a few minutes to spare, please give me your full assessment. By the way, I dropped $120 on a rebuilt starter, and another $50 on these parts I just bought. So I'd rather not default to, "just use the kick starter".

Thanks!

1976 KZ750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
13 Sep 2012 09:03 #548425 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic More Starter Clutch Woes
The Rollers which you show sticking, they shouldn't be wider than the cavity they set in. The only way I can see them getting pinched like that is if they are longer. Were these replaced? I would measure with a Caliper or Micrometer the length, then with the Rollers removed, bolt the starter clutch together, and measure the width of the cavity that the Rollers go in. Something amiss there it looks like to me.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.