1980 KZ250 engine died on the drive home

• theantichris
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • MTFBWY
More
01 Sep 2012 17:11 #546085 by theantichris
1980 KZ250 engine died on the drive home was created by theantichris
About a month ago I had a short in my electrical system that was blowing the main fuse. I striped the tank and headlight and found some exposed wires in each. That seemed to solve the problem and the bike ran great.

Then about a week ago the bike started to sputter at high speeds/rpm. It was most common above 80 km/hr or 6,000 rpm in 5th. It occasionally would sputter abover 6,000 rpm in lower gears, but it was most noticeable above 80. When I saw sputter the bike would feel as if it was gaining and loosing power or misfiring or as if it was not getting enough fuel.

Last night I was driving home from work (about 10km away) and was crossing over the bridge, (I live in Vancouver, BC and was working in North Vancouver) and the bike started to sputter at about 70km/hr this time and then immediately died. I still had power as my brake, headlight, signal lights all worked, but no neutral light and no starter. I was able to coast to safety, and checked under the seat expecting the main fuse to be blown (the lack of neutral light and starter was the same symptom I had with the electrical short) The fuse however was completely fine, so my question is what happened?

I was able to get the bike home by pushing it the rest of the way as it wouldn't start. The only additional thing I noticed while pushing was that the chain seemed to be really noisy where it runs through the transmission.

SYD - 1980 KZ 250

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2012 02:29 #546147 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic 1980 KZ250 engine died on the drive home
Well, it sure sounds like an electrical issue. I would suspect your ignition circuit. Id pull that front sprocket cover as well and take a look in there. Look at your neutral switch wire as well while your down there.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.