Another engine noise question?

More
01 Sep 2012 12:38 #546037 by bobski911
Another engine noise question? was created by bobski911
Okay, engine noise. Its on the left side of the head around exhaust 1 or 2. The sound is inconsistently constistent meaning that it will do a sort of rattle/ticking for 1 second every 3 seconds at idle. I've checked valves and they are all perfect (within .13mm-.16mm). when I rev the engine the noise speeds up. I've also loosened and tightened my manual cam chain adjuster and that didn't help. I know what normal valve noise sounds like, and I no what cam chain rattle sounds like. Carbs are also synced so that is not related.

Could it be a wobble in the exhaust cam and thats why it is every 3 seconds?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2012 12:45 #546039 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic Another engine noise question?
Are yoy sure its not an exhaust leak at the copper washer?

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

More
01 Sep 2012 12:49 #546040 by bobski911
Replied by bobski911 on topic Another engine noise question?
oh yes, I forgot to mention that. I also know what an exhaust leak sounds like because I had to deal with that before. But yes I replaced the copper washers to see if that would help and no change.

Thanks

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
01 Sep 2012 13:59 #546048 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Another engine noise question?
Pull the valve cover off and run it on the center stand to make sure its getting oil and to see if you notice anything strange B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
01 Sep 2012 14:26 #546051 by bobski911

wireman wrote: Pull the valve cover off and run it on the center stand to make sure its getting oil and to see if you notice anything strange B)

ok, just to clarify. Will I need to do this somewhere like outside? will oil splash all over the place? I always wondered about running the bike with the valve cover off.

More
01 Sep 2012 14:30 #546052 by bobski911
Just wanted to add something. When I said the rattle/ticking comes every 3 seconds, its not just one tick, it is a short burst of a rattly tick kind of noise. Sort of seems like it could be associated with the timing chain because it is perfectly timed. However its on the left side of the exhaust and doesn't sound like a loose cam chain rattle.

Thanks

• wireman
  • User
More
01 Sep 2012 14:41 #546054 by wireman
I just thought of something ,if youre bike has a chain guide/tensioner built into cover like newer j-serires bikes you cant run it without a valve cover.
What year of bike is it? B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
01 Sep 2012 14:56 - 01 Sep 2012 14:56 #546055 by bobski911
Its an 83, and it does have a cam guide on the top of the cover. Will it really be a big problem? what if I tightened the cam adjuster a little more while the cover is off? Just an idea, I really dont know.

Thanks
Last edit: 01 Sep 2012 14:56 by bobski911.

More
02 Sep 2012 06:09 #546165 by sham
Replied by sham on topic Another engine noise question?
Are you able to post a short vid up capturing the sound? I'm not familiar with what you're talking about but guys on the forum were able to help me when I did the same thing.

• wireman
  • User
More
02 Sep 2012 12:10 #546189 by wireman

bobski911 wrote: Its an 83, and it does have a cam guide on the top of the cover. Will it really be a big problem? what if I tightened the cam adjuster a little more while the cover is off? Just an idea, I really dont know.

Thanks

That guiide sets the location of cams Im pretty sure,Im used to older motors B)