annoying rattle

More
30 Aug 2012 20:22 #545745 by silentchris
annoying rattle was created by silentchris
my clutch is rattling at idle if i pull the handle in it goes away. it felt fine when i rode it around the block the other day. not slipping or anything what should i look at.

Speed is only a question of money. How fast do you wanna go?
1978 kz1000 ltd
Hailing from the wild suburbs of our nations capital

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BlackZ1R
  • User
  • Kawasaki in my blood
More
01 Sep 2012 12:58 - 01 Sep 2012 13:14 #546041 by BlackZ1R
Replied by BlackZ1R on topic annoying rattle
Is this on a KZ1000? From what I've experienced, look at the leading edges of the clutch fiber plates for excessive wear. Also the clutch basket where the tabs of the fiber plates ride. Excessive wear in these areas will cause the rattle.

When you open the pressure plate(disengage the clutch), the plates "free float" in the basket, causing them to drag on the tab surface. This takes up all the slack between the clutch plate tabs and the basket fingers so they're aren't bouncing back and forth, hence no noise.

New clutch fibers will usually take care of this if your basket doesn't have too much wear.

Kawasaki

Someone once told me to marry that motorcycle I was riding ......there's times I wish I hadda listened .
Last edit: 01 Sep 2012 13:14 by BlackZ1R.

More
01 Sep 2012 15:44 #546065 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic annoying rattle
Keep in mind also, many bikes that are semi-high miles, have clutch baskets that are a bit worn and loose on the shaft. You only hear it usually when clutch is not pulled. If you rev motor just a hair it goes away or if you pull the clutch it goes away. Just a thought, dont know how loud it is and cant see it.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

More
04 Sep 2012 11:06 #546569 by silentchris
Replied by silentchris on topic annoying rattle
its not that loud and as soon as it revs the noise goes away. thanks for the info guys guess ill be pulling my clutch apart.

Speed is only a question of money. How fast do you wanna go?
1978 kz1000 ltd
Hailing from the wild suburbs of our nations capital

More
05 Sep 2012 10:40 #546816 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic annoying rattle
Just inspect everything and the issues BlackZ1R listed. If it turns out to be just outer basket, I wouldnt worry much about it.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.