KZ1100D2 Spectre leaking oil.

More
28 Aug 2012 15:30 - 28 Aug 2012 15:32 #545307 by jasonwebb
KZ1100D2 Spectre leaking oil. was created by jasonwebb
Hi all!

Just got this bike a week ago and am having a LOT of fun with it so far. Just a few problems that need addressed. Mostly it's got a fairly bad oil leak just under the top cover, I guess you'd call it a cam cover. I'm no mechanic, but I was quoted 8 hours labor to replace the gasket under this cover. They said I'd have to break cam chains and all kinds of stuff. I've changed valve cover gaskets many many times in my old Nova SS and it takes about 20 minutes total. Is this something I can do myself, or should I take it to a bike shop?

Also, it looks like Z1 only sells the gasket I need as part of a set. I'd really rather not tear into the whole top end if there's just one gasket that needs replaced. Anybody know the correct part number I'll need?

'83 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre
'74 Yamaha TX500a
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Aug 2012 15:32 by jasonwebb. Reason: Fixed pics

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2012 15:36 #545308 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic KZ1100D2 Spectre leaking oil.
Maybe they thought you meant the head gasket??? Still probably wouldn't be 8 hours, and you still wouldn't need to break the chain for that, they either misunderstood or thought you were a sucker. I don't quite know how long it'll take, I'm inclined to say a little more than 20 minutes to do right, but it's not a big deal. Might try calling Z1 as well. A lot of times they're able to get things that aren't necesarily listed on their site, so if you tell them what you need they can probably get it for you.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
28 Aug 2012 15:51 #545315 by jasonwebb
Replied by jasonwebb on topic KZ1100D2 Spectre leaking oil.
Yeah, they also quoted 3 hours for fork seals, and it was $200 to clean and sync the carbs. At least they did that right. I am in central Nebraska, so there's not a lot of good shops around :)

I'll call Z1 this afternoon. Thanks!

Jason

'74 Yamaha TX500a

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
28 Aug 2012 23:28 #545380 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic KZ1100D2 Spectre leaking oil.
Looks like the Valve cover, and maybe the cam end plugs. Z1 will have all of the above. Just remember that when you remove the cover, that the cam chain tensioner will need to have the cross wedge removed, before you bolt the cover back down. Also you really need to at least check the valve clearances while it is off. Use the link in my signature for a pdf file version of the service manual that will cover this and much more for your Specter.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
29 Aug 2012 08:51 #545433 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ1100D2 Spectre leaking oil.
You need to stay away from that dealer; they are trying to rape you! Everything they told you is a lie. Replacing the valve cover gasket on a KZ is just as easy (actually easier) than replacing it on a small block Chevy. "Break the cam chain"? Wow, what an outrageous line of BS; they should be kicked in the pants for telling you that! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
29 Aug 2012 10:47 #545446 by jasonwebb
Replied by jasonwebb on topic KZ1100D2 Spectre leaking oil.
Oh yeah, they said they just did basically the same job for someone. Said they had 40 hours in it but only charged 8. What a bargain, huh?

My old Yamaha leaks out of both head gaskets and I can see that being expensive and difficult, but other than the leak right on the top this thing is bone dry.

I'm going to order the parts from Z1 today and just do it myself. If I get into trouble I'll make my brother in law help.

'74 Yamaha TX500a

More
29 Aug 2012 10:59 #545451 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic KZ1100D2 Spectre leaking oil.
Hey, that's what family's for right? If you have a manual for the engine, should be a walk in the park. Might give all the bolts a good soaking in penetrant the night before if they haven't come off in a while, try to prevent stripping anything, which seems to be the only issue I ever have on thes.e

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre