Valve adjustment and oil change on an 82 GPz550

More
24 Aug 2012 16:23 #544540 by marsracer
Where would I find the procedure and specs for doing a valve job? Is it a hard job? Is there a web site that has this information or does some one here know the specs? This thing runs great when you first get on it. But after a few miles, and shutting it off and sitting for a while and getting back on it runs like crap. I can't adjust the idle properly. If I turn the idle up it shoots up to 3 to 4000 rmp. But if I turn it ever so slightly back, it wants to idle at 300 and not run so great and die.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Aug 2012 16:27 #544541 by marsracer
Replied by marsracer on topic Valve adjustment and oil change on an 82 GPz550
And about the oil change, do I have to pull the exhaust off to get the oil filter out and in? Or should it fit right up in there?

More
24 Aug 2012 16:34 #544544 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Valve adjustment and oil change on an 82 GPz550
have you checked the filebase to see if there's a downloadable manual for your bike here? (Button on top right of page). For oil, if you have a 4-1 exhaust, they pretty much all end up having to be removed to get to the oil. The stock units on most of the KZs don't require removal to get the oil changed, I would guess, but cannot garauntee, that it's the same for the GPz. If the oil filter mount is directly over the exhaust, you'll have to drop the exhaust, should find out pretty quickly once you get under there and try.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
24 Aug 2012 17:00 #544551 by marsracer
I've got 4 to 2 exhaust. But didn't know if I have to pull the exhaust all the way out of the head ot if it comes apary. If I pull it out of the head, are there little copper rings that need to go back up in there as an exhaust gasket? I don't want to put too much money in to this thing. I'm selling it and am barley going to break even if I sell it as is.

More
24 Aug 2012 17:15 #544553 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic Valve adjustment and oil change on an 82 GPz550
There's copper gaskets in there, but I've typically been able to reuse them, mine usually just end up staying on the head unless I get a pick in there to pull them out. Might take them out and clean them up to make sure you get a good seal surface, but I've rarely needed to replace them to get a good seal. Depending on their condition it may or may not work for you. Even if it comes apart in the middle, you'll have to get it off the head to seperate them, so if they're blocking the oil, they'll have to come off one way or another.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
26 Aug 2012 17:28 #544888 by marsracer
Okay. Now. is it hard to adjust the valves?

More
26 Aug 2012 17:38 #544891 by MFolks
If your valve shims are under the "Buckets"(followers), the cams have to come out to adjust them(usually thinner shims as the valves and valve seats wear).

Manuals(Some of these websites sell used manuals,just ask)
www.repairmanual.com
www.manualsnmore.com
www.midwestmanuals.com/
www.books4cars.com/
www.repairmanualclub.com/motomanuals/
moto-manuals.com/
www.e-classicbike.com/

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)