Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Oil Pressure ? 14 Jun 2006 07:52 #54454

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • letthegoodtimesroll's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I installed an oil cooler and pan off of a GPZ750 over the winter and started it up for the first time last night (started second kick!). The oil pressure light comes on when the bike is at idle and goes out once I bring the revs up. Does anyone have any explaination for this as there was no problem prior to the oil cooler installation? Any help is appreciated!
1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil Pressure ? 14 Jun 2006 12:19 #54494

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I would put the bike on center stand and look in the oil sight glass and be sure that you top the oil off so that the oil line is between the two lines on the glass. Sounds like the pan may allow the bike to hold more oil and the cooler surely has some in it as well.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Oil Pressure ? 15 Jun 2006 11:41 #54700

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I agree with wiredgeorge. I have oil coolers on my two running bikes, and I keep the oil level at the top of the range. When the engine is running the oil cooler takes up some of the oil that would otherwise be available in the sump.
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

Oil Pressure ? 15 Jun 2006 12:22 #54706

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
Ditto. I have a Lockhart oil cooler on mine as well.

When I change oil, I put in the spec'd 3.5 or so quarts (with filter change), run the engine for a few minutes, or take her a mile or so down the street.

Back on level concrete, put her on the centerstand and let'r settle, then add to make up any difference short of the range marked on the sight window.

The cooler core will hold a little oil, as well as any loops/lowspots in the associated tubing.

Oil Pressure ? 19 Jun 2006 06:23 #55461

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • User
I went for my first ride of any length yesterday and had some awful noises coming from the engine. I pulled the valve cover and checked all the clearances and adjusted my cam chain and everything on the top end was good. I don't know if it is the oil level or not. I will check and add oil tonight and see what happens. Is the pick up on the oil pump of the 650 the same length as for the GPZ750? :(
1977 KZ650C1, Kerker Header, Dyna ignition and coils, GPZ 750 oil pan and cooler

Oil Pressure ? 19 Jun 2006 06:34 #55464

• OKC_Kent
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
You could always go to www.buykawasaki.com and see if the two bikes share the same oil pickup. Or give me the part number of the oil pickup for your bike and I will run it in the Zedder cross reference software.
Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

Oil Pressure ? 19 Jun 2006 07:24 #55469

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • User
I am work right now and I can't access buykawasaki.com from her. I will check tonight, I just thought someone might know off the top of their head.

Oil Pressure ? 22 Jun 2006 07:10 #56213

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • User
I checked the part #s for the oil pump and they are the same. When I put the new oil filter in the bike, I installed the strainer type basket at the bottom of the filter from the 650 oilpan. The 750 oil filter had a solid basket at the bottom. Would/could this make a difference as I am still having oil pressure problems even with the oil level at the top of the sight glass? If this is the problem, I can fix it by changing the oil filter and basket, if not I will have to drop the oilpan and look at the oil pump. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Oil Pressure ? 22 Jun 2006 07:13 #56214

• letthegoodtimesroll
  • User
I checked the part #s for the oil pump and they are the same. When I put the new oil filter in the bike, I installed the strainer type basket at the bottom of the filter from the 650 oilpan. The 750 oil filter had a solid basket at the bottom. Would/could this make a difference as I am still having oil pressure problems even with the oil level at the top of the sight glass? If this is the problem, I can fix it by changing the oil filter and basket, if not I will have to drop the oilpan and look at the oil pump. Any and all help would be appreciated.

• Page: