what octane?

• cherokeekid58
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Aug 2012 13:13 #544091 by cherokeekid58
what octane? was created by cherokeekid58
I never figured it out. So ill ask you good folk. What octane gas should i be running in my 82 kz750 4cyl?

Hahaha and i thought my JEEP addiction was bad; my Kz addiction is just as bad!!!

www.kzrider.com/filebase/cat_view/102-1982 ,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2012 13:33 #544096 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic what octane?

cherokeekid58 wrote: I never figured it out. So ill ask you good folk. What octane gas should i be running in my 82 kz750 4cyl?

Regular grade gasoline, provided that using it doesn't cause the motor to "ping" under load.
But in any event, if a motor is pinging, would assure ignition timing is correct, regardless of the grade of gasoline being used.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
22 Aug 2012 13:36 #544098 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic what octane?
Yea, I hear a lot of people say they should have premium. But I see no reason why, it's just a rating of how stable against combustion the fuel is. These engines aren't particularly high compression ratio or anything, so I see no reason to use the more expensive gas.
Like patton says, if you get any pinging, go up an octane rating, but it may be indicative that something else is a little out of whack, timing, or maybe excessive carbon buildup somewhere (the carbon holds heat and can cause pre-ignition).

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

• cherokeekid58
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Aug 2012 13:40 #544100 by cherokeekid58
Replied by cherokeekid58 on topic what octane?
Oh ive been running mid grade. Which is like 87 something octane. No ping under load. Do have something like a ping at idle, but i think i have an exhaust leak at the one clamp. So its probably just valve noise.

Hahaha and i thought my JEEP addiction was bad; my Kz addiction is just as bad!!!

More
22 Aug 2012 14:28 #544106 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic what octane?
Interestingly, Octane numbers for regular/mid/premium vary by location. 87's regular out here. When I lived in AZ regular was 85, and my poor turbocharged car couldn't ever get the 93 it was supposed to have. Supposedly this is supposed to have to do with altitude (at higher altitude you have less air, hence less fuel burns, hence slightly reduced temp), but I lived in Phoenix, which is by no means up in the mountains. So who knows, I definitely always just go by the pinging. I haven't had problems in my 750 spectre with 87 octane, so that's what I use. The Mazda I drive loses power from retarding timing on 91, and on 89 you can get some wicked pinging if the turbo spools.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

• cherokeekid58
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Aug 2012 15:25 #544113 by cherokeekid58
Yeah the appalation mountains are literally in my back yard. At some places i think you can even get higher than 93.

More
22 Aug 2012 15:51 #544122 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic what octane?
I've ridden over 25k miles in the last 2 years on my internally stock KZ900A4 and used all three fuel grades. I consider 2 variables when filling up: elevation and temperature. If I'm riding up in the mountains (above 5000 feet), I'll use 87 because it ignites easier which works better with the lack of oxygen at those elevations. When I'm running around town and it's less than 95 degrees, I'll run mid-grade. When it is 95 degrees or hotter, I'll run premium. If I'm running Seafoam or other fuel system/combustion chamber cleaner, I'll run premium.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

More
22 Aug 2012 15:58 - 22 Aug 2012 15:58 #544125 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic what octane?
I believe the lowest grade was 89 back in the 70's/80's when these bikes were built. I never go below that. Premium not required unless the engine is modified.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 22 Aug 2012 15:58 by bountyhunter.

More
22 Aug 2012 21:53 #544186 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic what octane?
Part of the deal is if your a little on the lean side
and it's hot out it may ping from a lean miss fire
then you put in some premium the pingging stopped
then you think you need the better gas
when you realy need to fix the carb.'s

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
23 Aug 2012 00:25 - 23 Aug 2012 00:34 #544224 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic what octane?
I've always told people, if your bike has stock compression pistons and motor mostly stock, use what the factory manual says to use. If you get ping/detonation increase octane number one step until ping is gone. It will usually be most visible when the motor is good and hot and under a load.

Octane ratings and what they refer to has been misunderstood by most people for YEARS.
Most people think a higher octane fuel is a more flammable quicker burning fuel, but it isn't.
The lower the number of octane the FASTER the fuel burns. The higher the number of octane the SLOWER it burns.
When an engine has high compression, compressed fuel with burn more quickly. And since detonation is a combustion which burns so fast it flashes and only distributes the explosion to one side of the piston and not both sides of the piston equally. This is the knock you hear.

On high compression you need a fuel that will burn more slowly and allow the explosion to distribute its load evenly across the piston resulting in no detonation or ping.
I hope this helps the guys that didnt really understand the full concept.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.
Last edit: 23 Aug 2012 00:34 by OldSchoolZ.

• cherokeekid58
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Aug 2012 20:33 #544382 by cherokeekid58
Oldschoolz, great explanation. I learned about octanes in my automotive class in school. I try to explain the difference in octanes in engines but people just dont get it or tell me i dont know what im talking about. So i stopped trying. Good info here guys. Thanks.

Cheers
Jason