Help with non running kz650

More
20 Aug 2012 22:51 #543754 by thoshi64
Help with non running kz650 was created by thoshi64
77 Kawasaki kz650b

I've been having a world of trouble with a project bike I bought and it's getting to a point where I'm just getting depressed with this project and want to get rid of it. I've put in about 700 - 800 total. I'll try to explain what I know so far and hopefully you can find something.

To begin with, the tank had a kreem lining that was falling apart and I got rid of it along with the rust and have successfully gotten it clean, but for some reason when putting the gravity petcock on, the gas won't flow fully into the line. I have a clear line so I know gas is getting to the carbs but the line isn't full all the way to the tank with gas and I'm fairly sure there is a sufficient amount of gas. I cleaned the petcock and am sure there is nothing blocking the petcock in the tank. Not sure what's going on there.

The bike won't start. When I got it, the first thing I did was clean the carbs making sure to clear all the small jets. I did not check to see if the jets were the correct size for stock. The airbox was missing so I ordered some cheap/chinese air filters/pods of ebay. Is this a problem? or do they work fine? I did re-jet the carbs correctly. From there I reset the points correctly (pretty sure) and set the gap using a feeler gauge. Now I haven't been able to get any combustion going at all. I put in new spark plugs and have checked them, they have a nice large spark to them.

Some things I noticed, the cylinder closest to the kickstand seem to be drenched with gas when I pulled the spark plug out while the opposing side was relatively dry. When I'm turning over the engine, I can feel some air right at the connection between the carb and the boot. Is this a vacuum leak? The battery will turn the engine over using the starter at 13 V but around 12.5 the starter will no longer work (checked with multi meter). When I'm trying to start it, I start it in neutral. Should I be using a different gear? I've also tried spraying some starter fluid on the pods and in the engine through the spark plug hole on separate occasions and nothing still.

Can you please help me diagnose this project as I would like my first project bike to be successful. Thanks. Ask more questions so I can describe the whole picture if you're not seeing it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
20 Aug 2012 23:15 #543758 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Help with non running kz650
Welcome to z-jungle.
Try a new set of plugs and make sure youre getting spark on all 4 cylinders 1st before you mess with the carbs.
Let us know if you get spark or not. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• Demon650
  • User
  • tattooist, fabricator, father, rider...
More
21 Aug 2012 11:46 - 21 Aug 2012 11:52 #543857 by Demon650
Replied by Demon650 on topic Help with non running kz650
on my kz650 d2, you need to hold the clutch in- EVEN IN NEUTRAL!!
THE BIKE WILL NOT START OTHERWISE...I hope this helps, and she roars to life for you!!

also the gas to one side problem is common with these bikes from what I understand, try putting her up on the center-stand as you work on her, NOT THE KICKSTAND...this causes her to lean to far to that side and gas is probably pouring out the overflow.
-Beck

...once more, into the void...
Last edit: 21 Aug 2012 11:52 by Demon650. Reason: because I haven't fully woken up, and forgot to address one of his questions...because I wanted to...you bully-box asking questions...

More
21 Aug 2012 17:12 #543938 by tinlizzie37
Replied by tinlizzie37 on topic Help with non running kz650
You say you checked the fuel petcock! Are you on prime or on? When on prime, it fills the carbs with fuel. If on on, it takes vacuum to open the petcock to allow fuel to flow. Did you disassemble the carbs for cleaning, and soak them in carb cleaner? Then sync them so they all open together? You also think you set the points correctly. How do you know? Leaking carb holders will keep the bike from starting, replace any cracked holders, it wont start. Are all the tubings hooked up right on the carbs? You my friend are in need of a Kawasaki Factory repair manual. eBay is a good place to get them. All things have to be checked and adjusted properly before the bike will run. Problems with fuel and ignition or compression will cause you woe. Start with a manual and then start asking questions after all prep work is done. Bob

Bob KZ 650 E1, En 450

More
21 Aug 2012 18:32 #543948 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Help with non running kz650

thoshi64 wrote: 77 Kawasaki kz650b...gas is getting to the carbs...bike won't start...first thing I did was clean the carbs... airbox was missing...cheap...pods...reset the points correctly (pretty sure) and set the gap using a feeler gauge...haven't been able to get any combustion...new spark plugs...nice large spark... cylinder closest to the kickstand seem to be drenched with gas when I pulled the spark plug out while the opposing side was relatively dry...tried spraying some starter fluid on the pods and in the engine through the spark plug hole on separate occasions and nothing still....

With compression and spark, starting fluid should combust when sprayed directly into the carb air intake (pods removed) while cranking over the engine. If battery is low, use the kick-starter.

If there's no combustion under these conditions, would perform a compression test.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
21 Aug 2012 18:49 #543949 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Help with non running kz650
The cylinders are numbered 1-4 counting from the left as you sit on the bike.

Trace the spark plug wires from the plugs to the coils - the two outside plug wires (1 and 4) should connect to one coil, the two middle plug wires (2 and 3) should connect to the other.

Remove your points cover and trace the point wires (one black and one green) back to the coils - looking at the timing plate the left (rear) set of points should connect to the coil connected to the 1/4 plugs, the right (front) set of points should connect to the coil connected to the 2/3 plugs.

While you're in there also check the points cam/advance assy - the points cam has a small scribe mark on the outside edge (can be a bit hard to see with the advance bolt in place), this scribe mark must point toward the the small hole in the advancer or your points cam will be 180 degrees out.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:

More
21 Aug 2012 19:44 - 23 Aug 2012 05:25 #543957 by Patton
Thanks to OnkelB! :cheer:

Opening of the points is the event that un-grounds the ignition coil which causes it to fire.

If Dyna-S has been installed (which replaces and eliminates points), wire colors to ignition coils remain the same.
When the rotor's embedded magnet passes the module, it un-grounds the ignition coil (same as points) which causes it to fire.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Aug 2012 05:25 by Patton.

More
23 Aug 2012 03:47 #544252 by martinhcoat
Replied by martinhcoat on topic Help with non running kz650
I had little trouble with mine, Now I got good solution here to fix my error.

More
23 Aug 2012 05:31 #544258 by Patton
Some further details in comparison between points and Dyna-S.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: