• Topic Author
  • User
  • Sellitto
More
12 Aug 2012 21:36 #542175 by Sellitto42kz
Running great, then... was created by Sellitto42kz
Hey y'all

Have a few questions,
Have been riding my kz since the new build bout 3 weeks not little hear an there. Plugs Foul d out
Got new plugs. Noticed 1-4 burnt great. 2-3 very dark (rich) plugs.... Noticed every time I came to a stop,out of the over flow tubes two an three were pouring out. I adjusted the carbs so they don't over flow anymore

First question. How do I test the coil?
Sec. Anyone have a 3ohm accelll coil I could buy off them? I have one good,one shitonme
Three. any suggestions.?

Bummin I ride for a day an then I need new plugs :-(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2012 21:48 #542176 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Running great, then...
Have you ridden it since adjusting the floats on 2 and 3? Perhaps with new plugs and the floats set correctly it will run right. It's worth a try.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
12 Aug 2012 21:53 #542177 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Running great, then...

Sellitto42kz wrote:
First question. How do I test the coil?

You can't. Coils fail with a high voltage arc down which usually starts happening when they warm up. Bench test won't find that.

Try switching coils to see if the problem follows the coil. If it does, bad coil. If not, carb problem.

Sellitto42kz wrote: Got new plugs. Noticed 1-4 burnt great. 2-3 very dark (rich) plugs.... Noticed every time I came to a stop,out of the over flow tubes two an three were pouring out. I adjusted the carbs so they don't over flow anymore

Bummin I ride for a day an then I need new plugs :-(

Might be a carb problem. If they sat for a while during the rebuild, may have dried out or had gas gunk up inside?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Sellitto42kz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Sellitto
More
12 Aug 2012 22:28 #542183 by Sellitto42kz
Replied by Sellitto42kz on topic Running great, then...
R u sure... A friend of mine tested the 3 ohm that was bad. He's out of town I figured I'd check on here..l there has to be a way to test them...

Sorry if not. Frustrated..

I did run the bike. Ran on two cylinders. Will my munkyn around all day tomorrow keep u posted.

More
12 Aug 2012 22:39 #542184 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Running great, then...
Changing plug leads on the coil as has been suggested is the best way to check coils. If the problem switches to 1 and 4 you will know. But have you run it since you changed plugs and set float level? Thats what I would do first.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

• Sellitto42kz
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Sellitto
More
12 Aug 2012 22:44 #542186 by Sellitto42kz
Replied by Sellitto42kz on topic Running great, then...
Thanks Wayne

I plugged in the good (extra) coil an sparked great.
So hopin it's just the carbs..

Which I really really want some bigg carbs to haul ass with.
Any suggestions? Carb boots?

More
12 Aug 2012 22:46 #542187 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Running great, then...
Primary(small wires) side of the coils will read between 1.8 to 3.0 ohms.

Secondary(sparkplug wire ports)side of the coil will read between 10.4K to 15.6K ohms. These ports are wired together.

The sparkplug caps should read 5K OHMS(5000), any higher, or a reading of infinity means new caps should be ordered. When re-installing the old or new sparkplug caps, cut about ¼” off the sparkplug wires for a new un-corroded connection.

Ignition Coils And Sparkplug Wire Choices

What came with the bike, were ignition coils that even when new were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in the stop and go traffic, and the coils will probably fail when hot.

Replacement coils can be bought at www.z1enterprises.com I believe “Emgo” is the brand. They also carry the popular Dyna 2.2 and 3 ohm coils, along with replacement sparkplug wires.

Now, you have a choice on sparkplug wires:

1.Copper plug wires with no supression caps (the best choice, but will produce audio noise Radio’s and TV’s). Not only do the copper core wires deliver better spark, they will also deliver a much longer lifespan - carbon core wires are prone to erratic spark delivery and early breakdown, short lifespan.

2.Copper plug wires with supression caps(a built in 5000 ohm resistor, that can sometimes fail, like what came with the bike).

3.Copper plug wires with no supression caps, but using resistor plugs(the “R” in the plug number, like B8RES).

4.Supression plug wires with no supression caps.

NEVER use resistor plugs and supression caps or supression plug wires, as now there will be two (2) sources of resistance in the secondary windings of the ignition coils, greatly reducing the spark energy.

Another choice is the Accel 3 ohm coils, with a similar, primary(small wire)electrical connection, using ring terminals as the Dyna ignition coils do. Whatever brand of coil you go with, make sure the primary wires will clear the mounting hardware, as the spacers come awfully close, possibly blowing a fuse. Some riders have replaced the metal spacers with non conductive Nylon spacers, reducing the chance of an electrical problem.

7mm sparkplug wires will fit the stock ignition coils(if they have replaceable wires, indicated by screw off caps on the coils with ridges). The sparkplug wires fit into a port with a brass ”Stinger” that goes into the sparkplug wire or lead(the Brit’s. Canadians, and other countries call the sparkplug wires “High Tension Leads”).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
12 Aug 2012 23:15 #542198 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Running great, then...
Mike, I'm under the impression that he's already using ACCEL coils as am I and is probably using the ACCEL wires which have no resistive caps, so I think we can discount plug caps as an issue.

Excellent information.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
13 Aug 2012 02:46 - 13 Aug 2012 02:47 #542229 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Running great, then...

Sellitto42kz wrote: R u sure... A friend of mine tested the 3 ohm that was bad. He's out of town I figured I'd check on here..l there has to be a way to test them...

There is a way to Ohm out a coil which will fail to detect about 99.9% of bad coils. It will find one that is shorted out completely or blown wide open. There is a very expensive piece of equipment that generates high voltages that can find some bad coils arcing down, most people don't have access to it. Swapping coils side to side is the best test.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 13 Aug 2012 02:47 by bountyhunter.

• kawasaki mike
  • User
  • kawasaki mike
More
16 Aug 2012 00:11 #542871 by kawasaki mike
Replied by kawasaki mike on topic Running great, then...
Be cautious on sizing the carbs. RS34's will do anything you want of them. If you go too big you will suffer low and mid range severely but will have a good top end. Problem is you wont be riding around a 9500 rpm all day. The smaller carbs will feel like you gained horsepower. Call Scott Barger from S&K racing in Dayton Ohio and he will shed lighy on this.

Am addicted to Z1's and kz 900's have an el camino, fly rc helicoptors and am strung out on horsepower.