Shim conversion - crazy idea???

More
11 Aug 2012 09:59 #541914 by OnkelB
Shim conversion - crazy idea??? was created by OnkelB
Doing some valve work on my 1100 a weird idea entered my head.

When running high lift cams in the 900s/1000s/1100s it's not uncommon to convert to shim on bottom using 650 buckets/tappets, retainers and shims.

But has anyone ever done (or heard of) the opposite, converting a 650 to shim on top using 900/1000/1100 parts?

I can't see why it wouldn't work, what do you think, crazy or...

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2012 11:50 #541932 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Shim conversion - crazy idea???
I wouldnt see why someone couldnt, but why? to make it easier to adjust valves?

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
11 Aug 2012 12:12 - 11 Aug 2012 12:15 #541935 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic Shim conversion - crazy idea???
The purpose of shim under bucket valve train is to prevent the engine from spitting out a shim at high RPM. Pretty much all of your modern motorcycles use this method of valve adjustment because they all are made for high RPM. There are still a few bikes that use screw and nut adjustment and the only other bike that I'm aware of that uses shim over bucket adjustment is the older BMW K bikes but those are pretty rare these days. I've personally seen what happens when a shim lets loose and it's not pretty. While it's definitely easier to do adjustments on the shim over bucket type it's just not meant for the high rpm's that more modern engines are capable of.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL
Last edit: 11 Aug 2012 12:15 by dejavoodo41.

More
11 Aug 2012 12:28 #541941 by Powerstroke_fan
Replied by Powerstroke_fan on topic Shim conversion - crazy idea???

dejavoodo41 wrote: The purpose of shim under bucket valve train is to prevent the engine from spitting out a shim at high RPM. Pretty much all of your modern motorcycles use this method of valve adjustment because they all are made for high RPM. There are still a few bikes that use screw and nut adjustment and the only other bike that I'm aware of that uses shim over bucket adjustment is the older BMW K bikes but those are pretty rare these days. I've personally seen what happens when a shim lets loose and it's not pretty. While it's definitely easier to do adjustments on the shim over bucket type it's just not meant for the high rpm's that more modern engines are capable of.

If you include quads, The bombardier ds650 uses the exact same sot buckets with 29mm shims. I adjusted the valves on one and used a couple of my shims from the kz stash.

1980 kz1000B4 LTD- 1327cc 9-1 comp
Ported J model head
Psp-3x cams
RS 36s
Welded MK11 crank
Back-cut MK11 trans
MTC 2 stage lock up
Stretched 4-6 over running Hayabusa rear rim with 190 rear tire
Complete frame brace kit installed
And Much Much more- SOLD

2014- ZX14R all stock for now

More
11 Aug 2012 12:36 #541947 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic Shim conversion - crazy idea???
The main idea was to avoid having to remove and reinstall the cams every time with the risk of stripping cam cap bolt holes or getting the cam timing wrong.

I realize the risk of spitting a shim, not something you would want to happen, but a stock 650 has 8 mm lift and shim on bottom, a stock GPz 1100 (KZ1100-B2 in this case) has 9mm lift and shim on top, both bikes redline at 9000 rpms - if shim on top works for the GPz I think it should work for the 650 too.

But like I said, just an idea...

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
19 Aug 2012 02:46 #543366 by MDawnz1
Replied by MDawnz1 on topic Shim conversion - crazy idea???
WOW!
Now that NEVER crossed my mind.
IF it works ,,,,let us know please,,,

1974 Z1a, still 903

More
19 Aug 2012 10:16 #543393 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Shim conversion - crazy idea???
Yes, you can convert it to shim on top with stock cams. Shim on Bottom was total over kill for that engine.

Larry C.

More
19 Aug 2012 21:27 #543490 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic Shim conversion - crazy idea???
Good points made here, but keep in mind. Bikes with shim over bucket are designed that way and even make necessary clearance to slide it out past the cam caps once it pops loose from the bucket. If you go with shim over on that engine, make sure you can pull the shim completely out without having to remove cam caps anyway. Just a thought. You can install one shim over bucket (make sure plenty of clearance(valve shim) install the cap and try removing one, but each gap between caps might be different. Do your homework first.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

More
19 Aug 2012 22:06 #543498 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Shim conversion - crazy idea???
Shim swaps are a non issue. The drawback is swapping out retainers with the head still on the bike. Personally, I'd leave it alone unless the head was already off and someone gave me free retainers.

Larry C.