1982 GPz550 Ran and died while riding

More
10 Aug 2012 23:54 #541882 by marsracer
1982 GPz550 Ran and died while riding was created by marsracer
I got this bike running after it sat for a while. I was out riding it and it was running oh so sweet. Then after I shut it off and it sat for about a half an hour and I got back on it and started riding again, it wasn't firing on all 4. You can feel the 4th cylinder kicking in every once in a while. Then I was about 10 miles from home, it just died when I pulled the clutch and wouldn't start as I used the speed to turn the engine as I down shifted. I don't know if it had a week battery if it would run crappy then just die. I put it back on the battery charger. It has spark, but it won't fire. It starts smelling like it flooded out. Might it be the timing chain? I can't push start it any more either. It just wont fire.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2012 11:40 - 22 Jan 2013 21:02 #541928 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 1982 GPz550 Ran and died while riding
The bike needs a good battery to run right, so I would check the battery first w a digital multimeter.
Last edit: 22 Jan 2013 21:02 by martin_csr.

More
11 Aug 2012 15:35 #541958 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 1982 GPz550 Ran and died while riding
sounds like maybe a weak battery. When running, measure the batt voltage with the engine revved to about 3K. It should be about 14V. If it is low, it means the rectifier or regulator is hosed.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
13 Aug 2012 15:51 #542300 by marsracer
Replied by marsracer on topic 1982 GPz550 Ran and died while riding
It has been on the charger since Thursday. I am getting spark at only 1 of the spark plugs. It is not sparking at the other 3. I pulled the spark plug wire off of the plug and put a nail in it and only got shocked by one of them. it was running poorly just before it died. It wasn't on all 4. But you could feel and hear when it hit in all 4. it ran great in the morning for almost 20 miles. But then the return trip was a flop. It barley kept up on the freeway and you can tell that it was not firing on all 4. I just don't understand why I only have spark on 1 cylinder. It should be at least 2, since they work off the same coil.

More
13 Aug 2012 16:28 #542315 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 1982 GPz550 Ran and died while riding
Ignition coils can fail internally, leaving one cylinder running but no spark in the other side.

Primary(small wires) side of the coils will read between 1.8 to 3.0 ohms.

Secondary(sparkplug wire ports)side of the coil will read between 10.4K to 15.6K ohms. These ports are wired together.

The sparkplug caps should read 5K OHMS(5000), any higher, or a reading of infinity means new caps should be ordered. When re-installing the old or new sparkplug caps, cut about ¼” off the sparkplug wires for a new un-corroded connection.

If the ignition cois are bad(most go bad from age,heat & vibration),read this:

Ignition Coils And Sparkplug Wire Choices

What came with the bike, were ignition coils that even when new were marginal, add years of cooking under the tank in the stop and go traffic, and the coils will probably fail when hot.

Replacement coils can be bought at www.z1enterprises.com I believe “Emgo” is the brand. They also carry the popular Dyna 2.2 and 3 ohm coils, along with replacement sparkplug wires.

Now, you have a choice on sparkplug wires:

1.Copper plug wires with no supression caps (the best choice, but will produce audio noise Radio’s and TV’s). Not only do the copper core wires deliver better spark, they will also deliver a much longer lifespan - carbon core wires are prone to erratic spark delivery and early breakdown, short lifespan.

2.Copper plug wires with supression caps(a built in 5000 ohm resistor, that can sometimes fail, like what came with the bike).

3.Copper plug wires with no supression caps, but using resistor plugs(the “R” in the plug number, like B8RES).

4.Supression plug wires with no supression caps.

NEVER use resistor plugs and supression caps or supression plug wires, as now there will be two (2) sources of resistance in the secondary windings of the ignition coils, greatly reducing the spark energy.

Another choice is the Accel 3 ohm coils, with a similar, primary(small wire)electrical connection, using ring terminals as the Dyna ignition coils do. Whatever brand of coil you go with, make sure the primary wires will clear the mounting hardware, as the spacers come awfully close, possibly blowing a fuse. Some riders have replaced the metal spacers with non conductive Nylon spacers, reducing the chance of an electrical problem.

7mm sparkplug wires will fit the stock ignition coils(if they have replaceable wires, indicated by screw off caps on the coils with ridges). The sparkplug wires fit into a port with a brass ”Stinger” that goes into the sparkplug wire or lead(the Brit’s. Canadians, and other countries call the sparkplug wires “High Tension Leads”).

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Aug 2012 17:49 #542335 by marsracer
Replied by marsracer on topic 1982 GPz550 Ran and died while riding
All I did was cut the ends of the plug wires off and reinstall them. The thing has never ran this great before. Now I'm excited to take it out for another ride today.