81 KZ250 CSR Shifting Issues

More
10 Aug 2012 14:59 #541771 by SammyB
81 KZ250 CSR Shifting Issues was created by SammyB
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and to motorcycles in general. So I apologize, if my question has been covered before.

Anyway, I bought an 81 KZ250 CSR at the beginning of the summer, and have been restoring it as as summer project. It only has 5,500 miles on it, but still needed plenty of work. So far I have replaced both sprockets, the chain, battery, air filter, oil filter, both brakes, and the front brake cable (just a bit of history).

It now runs very well, and seems to be reliable. However, I have noticed that when I up-shift, especially into 5th, that sometimes (most of the time really) there is a bit of initial resistance. I'll apply upward pressure, and the shifter will stop dead without ever going into gear, but if I let off a little - or hold it there a second, It will then slide into gear without any extra effort.

I have noticed that the problem is much less frequent if I wait till I get to 5,000 RPM or greater before trying to shift - so maybe it is just user error. But other, more experienced riders, have noticed the issue as well.

If I tighten the clutch cable substantially, it helps to alleviate the problem. But then it does not disengage fully and the engine will just spin and kills my acceleration.

I have changed the oil with no results (I am not sure if that would help anyway, but that seems to be the first solution people offer up on the forums).

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2012 15:31 - 10 Aug 2012 17:21 #541779 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 81 KZ250 CSR Shifting Issues
Hello, SammyB, and WELCOME to KZrider! :cheer:

If needed, here's a link about free download of a KZ200 service manual that may be of interest.

I recently downloaded the manual, and it took almost 7 minutes of staring at a blank screen, until the manual finally popped up seemingly out of nowhere onto the screen.

www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/47...test-download#472519

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 10 Aug 2012 17:21 by Patton.

More
10 Aug 2012 16:27 #541784 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 81 KZ250 CSR Shifting Issues
You need to adjust the clutch using the instructions in the Kawasaki Service Manual. There's more to it than just the adjustment at the lever. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Aug 2012 16:34 #541785 by SammyB
Replied by SammyB on topic 81 KZ250 CSR Shifting Issues
Does anyone by chance have the manual that can tell me the proper procedure? I actually have it adjusted (to the best of my ability) at the midway point in the cable. It is pretty much all the way in at the lever.

Thanks for the help,

Sam

More
10 Aug 2012 16:54 #541790 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 81 KZ250 CSR Shifting Issues
Did you download and check the KZ200 manual that Patton provided? I believe your bike may use the same procedure. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
10 Aug 2012 17:51 #541794 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 81 KZ250 CSR Shifting Issues
The following picture is on page 21 of the freely downloadable service manual at
www.scribd.com/doc/34889983/Kawasaki-KZ-...-a-82-Service-Manual

If the adjustment mechanism at hand looks like what's shown in the picture, could first assure plenty of slack in the cable, and then follow the described procedure.

Upon completing the pushrod adjustment, replace the cover plate, and set correct amount of slack in the cable.

If the adjuster at hand looks different, it's another type design which requires a different procedure.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
10 Aug 2012 21:05 - 10 Aug 2012 21:07 #541837 by SammyB
Thank you for the info Patton. I went home right after work and looked at the Bike.

As far as adjusting the clutch cable, the info in the service manual was very helpful - it is now done properly. Unfortunately however, it did not help the problem

The KZ250 CSR does not have anything that looks like that clutch adjusting cover. The only place I can seem to get any access to the clutch mechanisms at all is under the front sprocket cover. In there, there is a bar that moves in and out when you pull the clutch (forgive me for my ignorance) but it does not seem to have way for adjustment.

Attachment 2012-08-10_19-58-50_331.jpg not found

Sorry, the picture is sideways. But the "bar" I'm talking about is on top.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for helping guys.

Sam
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Aug 2012 21:07 by SammyB.

More
15 Aug 2012 12:17 #542778 by SammyB
Well, my Owners Manual came today, and it did not mention anything about the push rod adjustment. It went through all the cable adjustment procedures, and left it at that.

The picture is the parts diagram of the push rod. Does anybody have any idea if or how this could be adjusted? (And the "Bar" I was referring to, and posted a picture of above - is the push rod)

Thanks again for all the help,

Sam
Attachments: