NEED HELP!!

More
06 Aug 2012 20:40 #541081 by KansasKZ
NEED HELP!! was created by KansasKZ
Finally decided to stop bein a bitch and get my hands dirty again. Popped off the clutch cover and the gasket does not want to come off the housing. Went after it with a blade for a minute figured I'd see if you guys had a less abrasive approach? I really don't want to fuck anything up.

Decided to skip past the gasket issue for now. Started to tear the motor down and got all the nuts off the head but one it started come back out then stopped. I'm afraid that I broke the bolt off down in the crank case but I can't tell because I can't seem to get the head loose so I can pull it off. The valve cover had a gasket and a shit ton of silicone. I wonder if this might have the same. Any suggestion other than beat it with a mallet? That hasn't gotten me anywhere so far.

1978 KZ1000 A2A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2012 22:21 #541099 by Mercury Kid
Replied by Mercury Kid on topic NEED HELP!!
Wire wheel on an angle grinder or die grinder. It will turn it to dust and make a huge mess, so plan accordingly. And go easy, it can do damage.

'76 KZ900-Z1 clone
Z1 70's period longbike

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
06 Aug 2012 22:30 #541102 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic NEED HELP!!
You can use a scotch brite pad on a right angle die grinder on the gasket. As far as the head bolt, get some krill, PB blaster, or some other penetranting oil and give it a good soak, or put the hot wrench on it and work it back and forth. I doubt you broke it but you could have broken it loose from the case.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

More
06 Aug 2012 22:41 #541103 by KansasKZ
Replied by KansasKZ on topic NEED HELP!!
i can actuall turn the nut just fine. when i look at the stud i not actually turning but the nut is but it wont come off. its weird. but still i cant get the head to lift off the block at all tried prying, beatin on it, wont budge. its not that stuck nut either cause its raised a half inch or so off the head

1978 KZ1000 A2A

More
07 Aug 2012 17:45 #541220 by moneypit
Replied by moneypit on topic NEED HELP!!
Did you remove the 2 10mm bolts on the outside edges of the head?

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

More
18 Aug 2012 00:05 #543199 by KansasKZ
Replied by KansasKZ on topic NEED HELP!!
yeah i did. i can figure this out and its startin to really piss me off

1978 KZ1000 A2A

More
18 Aug 2012 02:26 #543232 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic NEED HELP!!
Nut's with stripped threads often are hard to get off of studs. Had that problem on some wheel studs before, check the stud threads for damage (hopefully they're harder than the nut and you're fine, but worth checking). I've had to take hammers to nuts like that before, but I wouldn't recommend it on an engine stud. Might just need something you can slide under it and jerk up on.

I'd recommend trying some Kroil if you haven't to get that head loose. just get some in there from the outside of the engine. Could use PB blaster similarly, but Kroil seems to be magic.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
18 Aug 2012 02:26 #543233 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic NEED HELP!!
Incidentally, bear in mind if you do rip the nut off like I suggested, you'll likely need a new nut and stud, so consider it a last resort.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre